Antitrust in Open Economies
AbstractWe examine antitrust rules in a two county general equilibrium trade model, contrasting national and multilateral (cooperative) determination of competition policy, exploring the properties of the policy equilibrium. It is not imperfect competition, but variation in competitive stance between sectors that matters for trading partners. Beggar-thy-neighbor competition policies relate to countries' comparative advantages, and hurt the factor intensively used, or specific to, the imperfectly competitive sector. They also create a competitive advantage for export firms. FDI can be pro-competitive in this context, reducing the scope for beggar-thy-neighbor policies and reducing the gains from a multilateral competition agreement.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tinbergen Institute in its series Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers with number 06-006/2.
Date of creation: 06 Jan 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tinbergen.nl
antitrust; competition policy; merger policy; trade and imperfect competition; FDI;
Other versions of this item:
- Francois, Joseph & Horn, Henrik, 2006. "Antitrust in Open Economies," CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers 5480, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Joseph Francois & Henrik Horn, 2006. "Antitrust in Open Economies," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series, IIIS iiisdp120, IIIS.
- L4 - Industrial Organization - - Antitrust Issues and Policies
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies; Fragmentation
- F3 - International Economics - - International Finance
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-04-22 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2006-04-22 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-IND-2006-04-22 (Industrial Organization)
- NEP-REG-2006-04-22 (Regulation)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jonathan Eaton & Gene M. Grossman, 1983.
"Optimal Trade and Industrial Policy Under Oligopoly,"
NBER Working Papers
1236, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eaton, Jonathan & Grossman, Gene M, 1986. "Optimal Trade and Industrial Policy under Oligopoly," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, MIT Press, vol. 101(2), pages 383-406, May.
- Keith Head & John Ries, 1997. "International Mergers and Welfare under Decentralized Competition Policy," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 30(4), pages 1104-23, November.
- J Peter Neary, 2002.
"Globalisation and Market Structure,"
Working Papers, School Of Economics, University College Dublin
200220, School Of Economics, University College Dublin.
- J.Peter Neary, 2003. "Globalisation and Market Structure," DNB Staff Reports (discontinued), Netherlands Central Bank 100, Netherlands Central Bank.
- Horn, Henrik & Levinsohn, James A, 2000.
"Merger Policies And Trade Liberalization,"
CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers
2459, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Henrik Horn & James Levinsohn, 1997. "Merger Policies and Trade Liberalization," NBER Working Papers 6077, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Horn, H. & Levinsohn, J., 1998. "Merger Policies and Trade Liberalization," Working Papers, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan 420, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Campa, Jose & Donnenfeld, Shabtai & Weber, Shlomo, 1998. "Market Structure and Foreign Direct Investment," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 6(3), pages 361-80, August.
- Markusen, James R. & Venables, Anthony J., 1988.
"Trade policy with increasing returns and imperfect competition : Contradictory results from competing assumptions,"
Journal of International Economics, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 24(3-4), pages 299-316, May.
- Markusen, James R. & Venables, Anthony J., 1986. "Trade Policy with Increasing Returns and Imperfect Competition: Contradictory Results from Competing Assumptions," CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers 120, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Joseph F. Francois & Henrik Horn, 1998. "Competition Policy in an Open Economy," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers, Tinbergen Institute 98-092/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Auquier, A A & Caves, R E, 1979. "Monopolistic Export Industries, Trade Taxes, and Optimal Competition Policy," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, Royal Economic Society, vol. 89(355), pages 559-81, September.
- Mark Rysman, 2000. "Competition Policy as Strategic Trade," Papers, Boston University - Industry Studies Programme 0100, Boston University - Industry Studies Programme.
- Dermot Leahy & J. Peter Neary, 2010.
"Oligopoly And Trade,"
Economics, Finance and Accounting Department Working Paper Series, Department of Economics, Finance and Accounting, National University of Ireland - Maynooth
n215-10.pdf, Department of Economics, Finance and Accounting, National University of Ireland - Maynooth.
- Peter Neary & Dermot Leahy, 2010. "Oligopoly and Trade," Economics Series Working Papers, University of Oxford, Department of Economics 517, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Leahy, Dermot & Neary, J Peter, 2010. "Oligopoly and Trade," CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers 8172, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Joseph Francois & Ian Wooton, 2010.
"Market Structure and Market Access,"
The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(7), pages 873-893, 07.
- Francois, Joseph & Wooton, Ian, 2007. "Market structure and market access," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4151, The World Bank.
- Joseph F. Francois & Ian Wooton, 2007. "Market structure and market access," Economics working papers, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria 2007-06, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Joseph Francois & Ian Wooton, 2008. "Market Structure and Market Access," CESifo Working Paper Series 2239, CESifo Group Munich.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Antoine Maartens (+31 626 - 160 892)).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.