Comparing Distributions: The Harmonic Mass Index
AbstractThe information contained in PP-plots is transformed into a single number. The resulting Harmonic Mass (HM) index is distribution free and its sample counterpart is shown to be consistent. For a wide class of CDFs the exact analytical expression of the distribution of the sample HM index is derived, assuming the two underlying samples to be drawn from the same distribution. The robustness of the concomitant test statistic is assessed, and four different methods are discussed for applying the HM test in case of asymmetric samples.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tinbergen Institute in its series Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers with number 05-122/1.
Date of creation: 22 Dec 2005
Date of revision: 30 Dec 2005
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tinbergen.nl
Distribution; PP-plot; test statistic; critical percentile values; robustness.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cabral, Luís M B & Mata, José, 2001.
"On the Evolution of the Firm Size Distribution: Facts and Theory,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3045, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lu�s M B Cabral & Jos� Mata, 2003. "On the Evolution of the Firm Size Distribution: Facts and Theory," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(4), pages 1075-1090, September.
- Chotikapanich, Duangkamon & Griffiths, William, 2001.
"On Calculation of the Extended Gini Coefficient,"
Review of Income and Wealth,
International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 47(4), pages 541-47, December.
- Proudman, James & Redding, Stephen, 2000.
"Evolving Patterns of International Trade,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 8(3), pages 373-96, August.
- Proudman, J. & Redding, S., 1998. "Evolving Patterns of International Trade," Economics Papers 144, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Proudman, James & Redding, Stephen, 2000. "Evolving patterns of international trade," Open Access publications from London School of Economics and Political Science http://eprints.lse.ac.uk/, London School of Economics and Political Science.
- Arye Hillman, 1980. "Observations on the relation between “revealed comparative advantage” and comparative advantage as indicated by pre-trade relative prices," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 116(2), pages 315-321, June.
- Geweke, John & Marshall, Robert C & Zarkin, Gary A, 1986. "Mobility Indices in Continuous Time Markov Chains," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(6), pages 1407-23, November.
- Wagenvoort, Rien & Waldmann, Robert, 2002. "On B-robust instrumental variable estimation of the linear model with panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 106(2), pages 297-324, February.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Steven Brakman & Robert Inklaar & Charles van Marrewijk, 2010.
"Structural Change in OECD Comparative Advantage,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3033, CESifo Group Munich.
- Steven Brakman & Robert Inklaar & Charles Van Marrewijk, 2013. "Structural change in OECD comparative advantage," Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 22(6), pages 817-838, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Antoine Maartens (+31 626 - 160 892)).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.