Periodic Seasonal Reg-ARFIMA-GARCH Models for Daily Electricity Spot Prices
AbstractNovel periodic extensions of dynamic long memory regression models with autoregressive conditional heteroskedastic errors are considered for the analysis of daily electricity spot prices. The parameters of the model with mean and variance specifications are estimated simultaneously by the method of approximate maximum likelihood. The methods are implemented for time series of 1, 200 to 4, 400 daily price observations. Apart from persistence, heteroskedasticity and extreme observations in prices, a novel empirical finding is the importance of day-of-the-week periodicity in the autocovariance function of electricity spot prices. In particular, daily log prices from the Nord Pool power exchange of Norway are modeled effectively by our framework, which is also extended with explanatory variables. For the daily log prices of three European emerging electricity markets (EEX in Germany, Powernext in France, APX in The Netherlands), which are less persistent, periodicity is also highly significant.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tinbergen Institute in its series Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers with number 05-091/4.
Date of creation: 12 Oct 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tinbergen.nl
Autoregressive fractionally integrated moving average model; Generalised autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity model; Long memory process; Periodic autoregressive model; Volatility;
Other versions of this item:
- Koopman, Siem Jan & Ooms, Marius & Carnero, M. Angeles, 2007. "Periodic Seasonal Reg-ARFIMAGARCH Models for Daily Electricity Spot Prices," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 102, pages 16-27, March.
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
- C51 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Construction and Estimation
- G10 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - General (includes Measurement and Data)
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-01-24 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2006-01-24 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ENE-2006-01-24 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-ETS-2006-01-24 (Econometric Time Series)
- NEP-FIN-2006-01-24 (Finance)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jurgen Doornik & Marius Ooms, 2001.
"Computational Aspects of Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Autoregressive Fractionally Integrated Moving Average Models,"
Economics Series Working Papers
2001-W27, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Doornik, Jurgen A. & Ooms, Marius, 2003. "Computational aspects of maximum likelihood estimation of autoregressive fractionally integrated moving average models," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 333-348, March.
- Jurgen A. Doornik & Marius Ooms, 2001. "Computational Aspects of Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Autoregressive Fractionally Integrated Moving Average Models," Economics Papers 2001-W27, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- H. Peter Boswijk & Franc Klaassen, 2005. "Why Frequency Matters for Unit Root Testing," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 04-119/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Ghysels, Eric, 1996.
"Periodic Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 14(2), pages 139-51, April.
- Bollerslev, T. & Ghysels, E., 1994. "Periodic Autoregressive Conditional Heteroskedasticity," Cahiers de recherche 9408, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Bollerslev, T. & Ghysels, E., 1994. "Periodic Autoregressive Conditional Heteroskedasticity," Cahiers de recherche 9408, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Haldrup, Niels & Nielsen, Morten Orregaard, 2006.
"A regime switching long memory model for electricity prices,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 135(1-2), pages 349-376.
- Niels Haldrup & Morten O. Nielsen, 2004. "A Regime Switching Long Memory Model for Electricity Prices," Economics Working Papers 2004-2, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Baillie, Richard T & Chung, Ching-Fan & Tieslau, Margie A, 1996. "Analysing Inflation by the Fractionally Integrated ARFIMA-GARCH Model," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(1), pages 23-40, Jan.-Feb..
- Sowell, Fallaw, 1992. "Maximum likelihood estimation of stationary univariate fractionally integrated time series models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1-3), pages 165-188.
- Alvaro Escribano & Juan Ignacio Peña & Pablo Villaplana, 2002.
"Modeling Electricity Prices: International Evidence,"
Economics Working Papers
we022708, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Alvaro Escribano & J. Ignacio Peña & Pablo Villaplana, 2011. "Modelling Electricity Prices: International Evidence," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 73(5), pages 622-650, October.
- Byström, Hans, 2001.
"Extreme Value Theory and Extremely Large Electricity Price Changes,"
2001:19, Lund University, Department of Economics.
- Bystrom, Hans N. E., 2005. "Extreme value theory and extremely large electricity price changes," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 41-55.
- Carlin, J. B. & Dempster, A. P. & Jonas, A. B., 1985. "On models and methods for Bayesian time series analysis," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1-2), pages 67-90.
- Baillie, Richard T., 1996. "Long memory processes and fractional integration in econometrics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 5-59, July.
- Knittel, Christopher R. & Roberts, Michael R., 2005. "An empirical examination of restructured electricity prices," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 791-817, September.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Engle, Robert F. & Nelson, Daniel B., 1986. "Arch models," Handbook of Econometrics, in: R. F. Engle & D. McFadden (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 49, pages 2959-3038 Elsevier.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Antoine Maartens (+31 626 - 160 892)).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.