Nonparametric Tests for Serial Independence Based on Quadratic Forms
AbstractTests for serial independence and goodness-of-fit based on divergence notions between probability distributions, such as the Kullback-Leibler divergence or Hellinger distance, have recently received much interest in time series analysis. The aim of this paper is to introduce tests for serial independence using kernel-based quadratic forms. This separates the problem of consistently estimating the divergence measure from that of consistently estimating the underlying joint densities, the existence of which is no longer required. Exact level tests are obtained by implementing a Monte Carlo procedure using permutations of the original observations. The bandwidth selection problem is addressed by introducing a multiple bandwidth procedure based on a range of different bandwidth values. After numerically establishing that the tests perform well compared to existing nonparametric tests, applications to estimated time series residuals are considered. The approac! h is illustrated with an application to financial returns data.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tinbergen Institute in its series Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers with number 05-076/1.
Date of creation: 02 Aug 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tinbergen.nl
Bandwidth selection; Nonparametric tests; Serial independence; Quadratic forms;
Other versions of this item:
- Diks, C.G.H. & Panchenko, V., 2005. "Nonparametric Tests for Serial Independence Based on Quadratic Forms," CeNDEF Working Papers 05-13, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics in Economics and Finance.
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- C15 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Statistical Simulation Methods: General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-01-24 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2006-01-24 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2006-01-24 (Econometric Time Series)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Szekely, Gábor J. & Rizzo, Maria L., 2005. "A new test for multivariate normality," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 93(1), pages 58-80, March.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," EERI Research Paper Series EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Heer, Georg R., 1991. "Testing independence in high dimensions," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 73-81, July.
- Granger, Clive W. J. & Terasvirta, Timo, 1999.
"A simple nonlinear time series model with misleading linear properties,"
Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 161-165, February.
- Granger, Clive W.J. & Teräsvirta, Timo, 1998. "A simple nonlinear time series model with misleading linear properties," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 237, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Anderson, N. H. & Hall, P. & Titterington, D. M., 1994. "Two-Sample Test Statistics for Measuring Discrepancies Between Two Multivariate Probability Density Functions Using Kernel-Based Density Estimates," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 41-54, July.
- C. W. Granger & E. Maasoumi & J. Racine, 2004. "A Dependence Metric for Possibly Nonlinear Processes," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(5), pages 649-669, 09.
- Ahmad, Ibrahim A. & Li, Qi, 1997. "Testing independence by nonparametric kernel method," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 201-210, June.
- Rosenblatt, Murray & Wahlen, Bruce E., 1992. "A nonparametric measure of independence under a hypothesis of independent components," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 245-252, October.
- Yongmiao Hong & Halbert White, 2005. "Asymptotic Distribution Theory for Nonparametric Entropy Measures of Serial Dependence," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 73(3), pages 837-901, 05.
- Piotr Fiszeder & Witold Orzeszko, 2012. "Nonparametric Verification of GARCH-Class Models for Selected Polish Exchange Rates and Stock Indices," Czech Journal of Economics and Finance (Finance a uver), Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, vol. 62(5), pages 430-449, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Antoine Maartens (+31 626 - 160 892)).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.