Second-best Congestion Pricing Schemes in the Monocentric City
AbstractPaper submission from Erik Verhoef (firstname.lastname@example.org)Discussion Paper Submission Form - STEP 1This discussion paper abstract is submitted by Erik Verhoef (email@example.com)Template-Type: ReDIF-Paper 1.0Series: Tinbergen Institute Discussion PapersCreation-Date: Number: Author-Name: Erik T VerhoefAuthor-Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgAuthor-Workplace-Name: VUTitle: SECOND-BEST CONGESTION PRICING SCHEMES IN THE MONOCENTRIC CITYAbstract:This paper considers second-best congestion pricing in the monocentric city, with endogenous residential density and endogenous labour supply. A spatial general equilibrium model is developed that allows consideration of the three-way interactions between urban density, traffic congestion and labour supply. Congestion pricing schemes are analyzed that are second-best ‘by design’ (and not because distortions exist elsewhere in the spatial economy), like cordon charging and flat kilometre charges. Both for Cobb-Douglas utility and for CES utility, the analyses suggest that the relative welfare losses from second-best pricing, compared to first-best pricing, are surprisingly small.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tinbergen Institute in its series Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers with number 04-110/3.
Date of creation: 04 Oct 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tinbergen.nl
Traffic congestion; second-best pricing; urban structure; spatial general equilibrium;
Other versions of this item:
- Verhoef, Erik T., 2005. "Second-best congestion pricing schemes in the monocentric city," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(3), pages 367-388, November.
- Erik Verhoef, 2004. "Second-best Congestion Pricing Schemes in the Monocentric City," ERSA conference papers ersa04p408, European Regional Science Association.
- R41 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Transportation Systems - - - Transportation: Demand, Supply, and Congestion
- R48 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Transportation Systems - - - Government Pricing and Policy
- D62 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Externalities
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-10-21 (All new papers)
- NEP-GEO-2004-10-21 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-MIC-2004-10-21 (Microeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kanemoto, Yoshitsugu, 1977. "Cost-benefit analysis and the second best land use for transportation," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 483-503, October.
- Mun, Se-il & Konishi, Ko-ji & Yoshikawa, Kazuhiro, 2003. "Optimal cordon pricing," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 21-38, July.
- Solow, Robert M. & Vickrey, William S., 1971. "Land use in a long narrow city," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 430-447, December.
- Inge Mayeres & Stef Proost, 1998.
"Marginal Tax Reform, Externalities and Income Distribution,"
Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers
ces9832, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- Mayeres, Inge & Proost, Stef, 2001. "Marginal tax reform, externalities and income distribution," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 79(2), pages 343-363, February.
- Mayeres, Inge & Proost, Stef, 1998. "Marginal tax reform, externalities and income distribution," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/238244, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Parry, Ian W.H. & Bento, Antonio Miguel R., 1999.
"Revenue recycling and the welfare effects of road pricing,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2253, The World Bank.
- Parry, Ian W H & Bento, Antonio, 2001. " Revenue Recycling and the Welfare Effects of Road Pricing," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 103(4), pages 645-71, December.
- Parry, Ian & Bento, Antonio, 1999. "Revenue Recycling and the Welfare Effects of Road Pricing," Discussion Papers dp-99-45, Resources For the Future.
- Anas, Alex & Xu, Rong, 1999. "Congestion, Land Use, and Job Dispersion: A General Equilibrium Model," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 451-473, May.
- Verhoef, Erik T. & Nijkamp, Peter, 2002. "Externalities in urban sustainability: Environmental versus localization-type agglomeration externalities in a general spatial equilibrium model of a single-sector monocentric industrial city," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 157-179, February.
- Anas, Alex & Kim, Ikki, 1996. "General Equilibrium Models of Polycentric Urban Land Use with Endogenous Congestion and Job Agglomeration," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 232-256, September.
- Arnott, Richard J., 1979. "Unpriced transport congestion," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 294-316, October.
- Hyman, G. & Mayhew, L., 2008. "Toll optimisation on river crossings serving large cities," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 28-47, January.
- De Borger, Bruno, 2009. "Commuting, congestion tolls and the structure of the labour market: Optimal congestion pricing in a wage bargaining model," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(4), pages 434-448, July.
- Michel De Lara & André De Palma & Moez Kilani & Serge Piperno, 2008. "Congestion pricing and long term urban form: Application to Ile-de-France," Working Papers hal-00348439, HAL.
- Ioannis Tikoudis & Erik T. Verhoef & Jos N. van Ommeren, 2013. "On Revenue Recycling and the Welfare Effects of Second-Best Congestion Pricing in a Monocentric City," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 13-031/VIII, Tinbergen Institute.
- André DE PALMA & Moez KILANI & Michel DE LARA & Serge PIPERNO, 2011.
"Cordon pricing in the monocentric city: theory and application to Paris region,"
Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain)
2011027, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- André De Palma & Moez Kilani & Michel De Lara & Serge Piperno, 2011. "Cordon pricing in the monocentric city: theory and application to Paris region," Recherches économiques de Louvain, De Boeck Université, vol. 77(2), pages 105-124.
- Chu, Chih-Peng & Tsai, Jyh-Fa, 2008. "The optimal location and road pricing for an elevated road in a corridor," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 42(5), pages 842-856, June.
- Safirova, Elena A. & Houde, Sébastien & Lipman, D. Abram & Harrington, Winston & Bagliano, Andrew D., 2006. "Congestion Pricing: Long-Term Economic and Land-Use Effects," Discussion Papers dp-06-37, Resources For the Future.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Antoine Maartens (+31 626 - 160 892)).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.