Macroeconomic Crisis and Individual Firm Performance: The Mexican Experience
AbstractThis paper considers financial, operational, solvency, and performance ratios, in order to detect when there were balance sheets’ variations related to the 1994 Mexican currency crisis. Quarterly results for 88 non-financial Mexican companies that survived the crisis are used, and tests for structural change are performed. Findings show that generally firms’ balance sheets deteriorated between the fourth quarters of 1993 and 1995, which points the possibility of corporate roots of the macroeconomic crisis. Although in most cases firms’ balance sheets improved after the crisis, the recovery was partial and gradual, and overall this episode was prejudicial even for surviving companies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tinbergen Institute in its series Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers with number 04-057/2.
Date of creation: 27 May 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tinbergen.nl
financial crisis; firm-level data;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F3 - International Economics - - International Finance
- G0 - Financial Economics - - General
- G3 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-08-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-CFN-2004-08-23 (Corporate Finance)
- NEP-RMG-2004-08-23 (Risk Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bai, Jushan & Lumsdaine, Robin L & Stock, James H, 1998.
"Testing for and Dating Common Breaks in Multivariate Time Series,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 65(3), pages 395-432, July.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to demonstrate Bai, Lumsdaine, Stock common breaks in VAR," Statistical Software Components RTZ00171, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Carstens, Agustin & Schwartz, Moises J., 1998. "Capital flows and the financial crisis in Mexico," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 207-226.
- Guillermo A. Calvo & Enrique G. Mendoza, 1996.
"Mexico's balance-of-payments crisis: a chronicle of death foretold,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
545, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Calvo, Guillermo A. & Mendoza, Enrique G., 1996. "Mexico's balance-of-payments crisis: a chronicle of a death foretold," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(3-4), pages 235-264, November.
- Perron, P. & Bai, J., 1995.
"Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes,"
Cahiers de recherche
9552, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Jushan Bai & Pierre Perron, 1998. "Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(1), pages 47-78, January.
- Perron, P. & Bai, J., 1995. "Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes," Cahiers de recherche 9552, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Chan, Kenneth S. & Chao, Chi-Chur & Chou, Win Lin, 2002. "Trade similarities and contagion among the Asian crisis economies," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 271-283.
- Franklin Allen & Douglas Gale, 1998. "Financial Contagion Journal of Political Economy," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 98-31, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Karen Watkins & Dick Van Dijk & Jaap Spronk, 2006. "Corporate Governance and Performance during the Aftermath of the 1994 Mexican Crisis," EconoQuantum, Revista de Economia y Negocios, Universidad de Guadalajara, Centro Universitario de Ciencias Economico Administrativas, Departamento de Metodos Cuantitativos y Maestria en Economia., vol. 2(2), pages 35-48, Enero-Jun.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Antoine Maartens (+31 626 - 160 892)).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.