A Cognitive Approach to Organizational Complexity
AbstractOrganizational theory has construed complexity as an objective characteristic of either the structure or the behaviour of an organization. We argue that to further our understanding it should be understood in terms of human cognition of a structure or behavior. This cognitive twist is illustrated using two theoretical approaches, whose relationship is discussed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tinbergen Institute in its series Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers with number 04-033/1.
Date of creation: 23 Mar 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tinbergen.nl
Organizational Complexity; Cognition; Structure; Behaviour;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D23 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Organizational Behavior; Transaction Costs; Property Rights
- M1 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- B. Visser, 2002. "Complexity, Robustness, and Performance," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers, Tinbergen Institute 02-048/1, Tinbergen Institute.
- G. Fioretti, 1996. "A Concept of Complexity for the Social Sciences," Working Papers, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis wp96144, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis.
- Ioannides, Yannis M., 2012.
"Complexity and organizational architecture,"
Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 193-202.
- Yannis M. Ioannides, 2003. "Complexity and Organizational Architecture," Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University, Department of Economics, Tufts University 0313, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- Guido Fioretti, 2005. "Credit Rationing and Internal Ratings in the face of Innovation and Uncertainty," Finance, EconWPA 0504021, EconWPA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Antoine Maartens (+31 626 - 160 892)).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.