Importance Sampling Simulations of Markovian Reliability Systems using Cross Entropy
AbstractThis paper reports simulation experiments, applying the cross entropy method suchas the importance sampling algorithm for efficient estimation of rare event probabilities in Markovian reliability systems. The method is compared to various failurebiasing schemes that have been proved to give estimators with bounded relativeerrors. The results from the experiments indicate a considerable improvement ofthe performance of the importance sampling estimators, where performance is mea-sured by the relative error of the estimate, by the relative error of the estimator,and by the gain of the importance sampling simulation to the normal simulation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tinbergen Institute in its series Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers with number 04-018/4.
Date of creation: 10 Feb 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tinbergen.nl
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-04-25 (All new papers)
- NEP-CMP-2004-04-25 (Computational Economics)
- NEP-ECM-2004-04-25 (Econometrics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sandeep Juneja & Perwez Shahabuddin, 2001. "Fast Simulation of Markov Chains with Small Transition Probabilities," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(4), pages 547-562, April.
- Perwez Shahabuddin, 1994. "Importance Sampling for the Simulation of Highly Reliable Markovian Systems," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 40(3), pages 333-352, March.
- Rubinstein, Reuven Y., 1997. "Optimization of computer simulation models with rare events," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 99(1), pages 89-112, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Antoine Maartens (+31 626 - 160 892)).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.