Managing Pesticide Risks for Non-Target Ecosystems with Pesticide Risk Indicators: a Multicriteria Approach
AbstractIn the search for effective pesticide risk management tools, the design of pesticide risk indicators is nowadays receiving increasing attention as a complement to more established regulatory strategies. In the present paper, we apply some recently developed pesticide risk indices and test their potential for management purposes. A pilot approach is proposed, which explores pesticide worst-case hazard scenarios at different space-time scales by means of a set of 5 ecotoxicological risk indices. The results are then interpreted from the perspective of a decision support method using the so-called Critical Threshold Value approach. Our risk analysis is then enriched within a multicriteria framework which integrates environmental, agronomic and economic objectives.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tinbergen Institute in its series Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers with number 04-009/3.
Date of creation: 22 Jan 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tinbergen.nl
pesticides; hazard and risk assessment; risk indices; decision support tools; multicriteria analysis;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q16 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - R&D; Agricultural Technology; Biofuels; Agricultural Extension Services
- Q24 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - Land
- Q25 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - Water
- R38 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Real Estate Markets, Spatial Production Analysis, and Firm Location - - - Government Policy
- H8 - Public Economics - - Miscellaneous Issues
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-02-01 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENV-2004-02-01 (Environmental Economics)
- NEP-GEO-2004-02-01 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-PBE-2004-02-01 (Public Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter Nijkamp & Hans Ouwersloot, 1997. "A Decision Support System for Regional Sustainable Development: The Flag Model," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 97-074/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Nijkamp, Peter & Vreeker, Ron, 2000. "Sustainability assessment of development scenarios: methodology and application to Thailand," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 7-27, April.
- Hinloopen, Edwin & Nijkamp, Peter & Rietveld, Piet, 1983.
"Qualitative discrete multiple criteria choice models in regional planning,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 77-102, February.
- Hinloopen, E. & Nijkamp, P. & Rietveld, P., 1982. "Qualitative discrete multiple criteria choice models in regional planning," Serie Research Memoranda 0023, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Tsu-Tan Fu & Jin-Tan Liu & James K. Hammitt, 1999. "Consumer Willingness to Pay for Low-Pesticide Fresh Produce in Taiwan," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(2), pages 220-233.
- Hermanides, Gerda & Nijkamp, Peter, 1997. "Multicriteria evaluation of sustainable agricultural land use : a case of Lesvos," Serie Research Memoranda 0005, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Vivien Foster & Susana Mourato, 2000. "Valuing the Multiple Impacts of Pesticide Use in the UK: A Contingent Ranking Approach," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(1), pages 1-21.
- Travisi, C.M. & Nijkamp, P., 2009. "Managing environmental risk in agriculture: a systematic perspective on the potential of quantitative policy-oriented risk valuation," Serie Research Memoranda 0043, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Amit Batabyal & Peter Nijkamp, 2005. "Alternate Strategies for Managing Resistance to Antibiotics and Pesticides," ERSA conference papers ersa05p161, European Regional Science Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Antoine Maartens (+31 626 - 160 892)).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.