Axiomatizations of Permission Values for Games with a Hierarchical Permission Structure using Split Neutrality
AbstractRecently, cooperative game theory has been applied to various economic allocation problems in which players are not fully anonymous but belong to some relational structure. One of the most developed models in this respect are communications situations or (symmetric) network situations in which players can only cooperate if there are sufficient communication links in the communication network.Another class of applications considers situations in which the players are hierarchically ordered, i.e. they are part of a structure of asymmetric relations. Examples are auctions, airport games, sequencing situations, the water distribution problem and hierarchically structured firms. This paper is about games with permission structure being a general game theoretic model to study situations with asymmetric relations between the players. We provide new axiomatic characterizations of the Shapley permission values and the first characterizations of the Banzhaf permission values using split properties which say something about the payoffs of players if we split certain players in two.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tinbergen Institute in its series Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers with number 03-100/1.
Date of creation: 09 Dec 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tinbergen.nl
Cooperative game theory; hierarchical permission structure; Shapley value; Banzhaf value; split neutrality;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C71 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Cooperative Games
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-04-25 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ambec, S. & Sprumont, Y., 2000.
"Sharing a River,"
00-06, Laval - Recherche en Energie.
- Ambec, Stefan & Sprumont, Yves, 2000. "Sharing a River," Cahiers de recherche 0006, GREEN.
- Ambec, S. & Sprumont, Y., 2000. "Sharing a River," Cahiers de recherche 2000-08, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- AMBEC, Steve & SPRUMONT, Yves, 2000. "Sharing a River," Cahiers de recherche 2000-08, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- René van den Brink & Gerard van der Laan & Valeri Vasil'ev, 2003. "Harsanyi Solutions in Line-graph Games," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 03-076/1, Tinbergen Institute.
- Curiel, I. & Potters, J.A.M. & Rajendra Prasad, V. & Tijs, S.H. & Veltman, B., 1993. "Cooperation in one machine scheduling," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-154197, Tilburg University.
- Brânzei, R. & Fragnelli, V. & Tijs, S.H., 2002.
"Tree-connected peer group situations and peer group games,"
Open Access publications from Tilburg University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-91321, Tilburg University.
- Brânzei, R. & Fragnelli, V. & Tijs, S.H., 2000. "Tree-connected Peer Group Situations and Peer Group Games," Discussion Paper 2000-117, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Algaba, A. & Bilbao, J.M. & Brink, J.R. van den & Jiménez-Losada, A., 2001.
"Axiomatizations of the Shapley Value for Cooperative Games on Antimatroids,"
2001-99, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- E. Algaba & J. M. Bilbao & R. van den Brink & A. Jiménez-Losada, 2003. "Axiomatizations of the Shapley value for cooperative games on antimatroids," Computational Statistics, Springer, vol. 57(1), pages 49-65, 04.
- Algaba, A. & Bilbao, J.M. & Brink, J.R. van den & Jiménez-Losada, A., 2000. "Cooperative Games on Antimatroids," Discussion Paper 2000-124, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- RenÊ van den Brink, 1997. "An Axiomatization of the Disjunctive Permission Value for Games with a Permission Structure," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer, vol. 26(1), pages 27-43.
- Borm, P.E.M. & Owen, G. & Tijs, S.H., 1992. "On the position value for communication situations," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-154855, Tilburg University.
- Curiel, I. & Potters, J.A.M. & Rajendra Prasad, V. & Tijs, S.H. & Veltman, B., 1994. "Sequencing and cooperation," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-154192, Tilburg University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Antoine Maartens (+31 626 - 160 892)).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.