Valuing Euro Rating-Triggered Step-Up Telecom Bonds
AbstractWe value rating-triggered step-up bonds with three methods: (i) the Jarrow, Lando andTurnbull (1997, JLT) framework, (ii) a similar framework using historical probabilities and(iii) as plain vanilla bonds. We find that the market seems to value single step-up bondsaccording to the JLT model, while it values multiple step-up bonds as plain vanilla bonds.Further, step-up feature market premiums are more volatile than JLT and historical premiums,and the JLT model approximates market premiums always better than the historical method.Finally, most step-up bonds offer a cushion against rating migrations via dampened pricemovements.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tinbergen Institute in its series Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers with number 03-028/2.
Date of creation: 02 Apr 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tinbergen.nl
step-up bonds; Jarrow-Lando-Turnbull model; rating-based reduced form model; transition probabilities.;
Other versions of this item:
- Houweling, P. & Mentink, A.A. & Vorst, A.C.F., 2003. "Valuing Euro rating-triggered step-up telecom bonds," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 2003-50, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing; Trading Volume; Bond Interest Rates
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2003-04-27 (All new papers)
- NEP-CFN-2003-04-27 (Corporate Finance)
- NEP-EEC-2003-04-27 (European Economics)
- NEP-RMG-2003-04-27 (Risk Management)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gustavo Manso, 2011. "Feedback Effects of Credit Ratings," 2011 Meeting Papers 1338, Society for Economic Dynamics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Antoine Maartens (+31 626 - 160 892)).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.