On Conditional Density Estimation
AbstractWith the aim to mitigate the possibleproblem of negativity in the estimation of the conditionaldensity function, we introduce a so-called re-weightedNadaraya-Watson (RNW) estimator. The proposed RNWestimator is constructed by a slight modificationof the well-known Nadaraya-Watson smoother.Because the estimator is explicitly defined in terms ofthe data, its practical implementation is quite simple.With a detailed asymptotic analysis, we demonstratethat the RNW smoother preserves thesuperior large-sample bias property of thelocal linear smoother of the conditional densityproposed by Fan, Yao and Tong (1996).As a matter of independent statistical interest,the limit distribution of the RNW estimator is alsoderived.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tinbergen Institute in its series Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers with number 02-032/4.
Date of creation: 08 Apr 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tinbergen.nl
alpha-mixing; asymptotic properties; negativity; nonparametric; re-weighted;
Other versions of this item:
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2002-04-25 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2002-04-25 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2002-04-25 (Econometric Time Series)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:3:y:2007:i:62:p:1-6 is not listed on IDEAS
- Holmes, Michael P. & Gray, Alexander G. & Isbell Jr., Charles Lee, 2010. "Fast kernel conditional density estimation: A dual-tree Monte Carlo approach," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 54(7), pages 1707-1718, July.
- Manzan, Sebastiano & Zerom, Dawit, 2008. "A bootstrap-based non-parametric forecast density," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 535-550.
- Liang, Han-Ying & Liu, Ai-Ai, 2013. "Kernel estimation of conditional density with truncated, censored and dependent data," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 120(C), pages 40-58.
- Kim Huynh & David Jacho-Chavez, 2007. "Conditional density estimation: an application to the Ecuadorian manufacturing sector," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 3(62), pages 1-6.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Antoine Maartens (+31 626 - 160 892)).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.