Moment Approximation for Least Squares Estimators in Dynamic Regression Models with a Unit Root
AbstractThis discussion paper led to a publication in 'The Econometrics Journal' .Asymptotic expansions are employed in a dynamic regression model with a unit root inorder to find approximations for the bias, the variance and for the mean squared error of theleast-squares estimator of all coefficients. It is found that in this particular context suchexpansions exist only when the autoregressive model contains at least one non-redundant exogenousexplanatory variable and that local to zero asymptotic approaches are here without avail.Surprisingly the large sample and small disturbance asymptotic techniques give closely relatedresults, which is not the case in stable dynamic regression models. The expressions for momentapproximations are specialized to the random walk with (trend in) drift model and their accuracyis examined in Monte Carlo experiments.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tinbergen Institute in its series Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers with number 01-118/4.
Date of creation: 06 Dec 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tinbergen.nl
Other versions of this item:
- Kiviet, J.F. & Phillips, G.D.A., 1998. "Moment Approximation for Least Squares Estimators in Dynamic Regression Models with a Unit Root," Discussion Papers 9909, Exeter University, Department of Economics.
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2002-02-10 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2002-02-14 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2002-02-10 (Econometric Time Series)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Pesaran, M.H. & Timmermann, A., 2003.
"Small Sample Properties of Forecasts from Autoregressive Models under Structural Breaks,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
0331, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Pesaran, M. Hashem & Timmermann, Allan, 2005. "Small sample properties of forecasts from autoregressive models under structural breaks," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 129(1-2), pages 183-217.
- Allan Timmermann & M. Hashem Pesaran, 2003. "Small Sample Properties of Forecasts from Autoregressive Models under Structural Breaks," CESifo Working Paper Series 990, CESifo Group Munich.
- Pesaran, M Hashem & Timmermann, Allan G, 2004. "Small Sample Properties of Forecasts From Autoregressive Models Under Structural Breaks," CEPR Discussion Papers 4401, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Liu-Evans, Gareth, 2010. "An alternative approach to approximating the moments of least squares estimators," MPRA Paper 26550, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Chevillon, Guillaume, 2007. "Inference in the Presence of Stochastic and Deterministic Trends," ESSEC Working Papers DR 07021, ESSEC Research Center, ESSEC Business School.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Antoine Maartens (+31 626 - 160 892)).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.