Tests for Serial Independence and Linearity based on Correlation Integrals
AbstractWe propose information theoretic tests for serial independence and linearity in time series. The test statisticsare based on the conditional mutual information, a general measure of dependence between lagged variables. In caseof rejecting the null hypothesis, this readily provides insights into the lags through which the dependence arises.The conditional mutual information is estimated using the correlation integral from chaos theory. The signi[tanceof the test statistics is determined with a permutation procedure and a parametric bootstrap in the testsfor serial independence and linearity, respectively.The size and power properties of the tests are examined numerically and illustrated with applications to somebenchmark time series.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tinbergen Institute in its series Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers with number 01-085/1.
Date of creation: 12 Sep 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tinbergen.nl
serial independence; linearity; bootstrap; permutation test; nonparametric estimation; nonlinear time series analysis; correlation integral;
Other versions of this item:
- Diks Cees & Manzan Sebastiano, 2002. "Tests for Serial Independence and Linearity Based on Correlation Integrals," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 6(2), pages 1-22, July.
- Diks, C.G.H. & Manzan, S., 2001. "Tests for serial independence and linearity based on correlation integrals," CeNDEF Working Papers 01-02, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics in Economics and Finance.
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2001-10-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2001-10-16 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2001-10-16 (Econometric Time Series)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:att:wimass:9520 is not listed on IDEAS
- Diks, C.G.H., 1999. "Consistent Testing for Serial Independence," CeNDEF Working Papers 99-02, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics in Economics and Finance.
- Robinson, P M, 1991. "Consistent Nonparametric Entropy-Based Testing," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(3), pages 437-53, May.
- Aparicio F. M. & Escribano A., 1998. "Information-Theoretic Analysis of Serial Dependence and Cointegration," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 3(3), pages 1-24, October.
- Manzan, S. & Zerom, D., 2005. "A Multi-Step Forecast Density," CeNDEF Working Papers 05-05, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics in Economics and Finance.
- Diks, C.G.H. & Panchenko, V., 2006.
"Rank-based entropy tests for serial independence,"
CeNDEF Working Papers
06-14, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics in Economics and Finance.
- Manzan, Sebastiano & Zerom, Dawit, 2008. "A bootstrap-based non-parametric forecast density," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 535-550.
- Gao, Wei & Zhao, Hongxia, 2013. "Conditional independence graph for nonlinear time series and its application to international financial markets," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 392(10), pages 2460-2469.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Antoine Maartens (+31 626 - 160 892)).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.