Time Series Modelling of Daily Tax Revenues
AbstractWe provide a detailed discussion of the time series modelling of daily tax revenues. The mainfeature of daily tax revenue series is the pattern within calendar months. Standard seasonal timeseries techniques cannot be used since the number of banking days per calendar month varies andbecause there are two levels of seasonality: between months and within months.We start the analysis with a periodic regression model with time varying parameters.This modelis then extended with a component for intra-month seasonality, which is specified as a stochasticcubic spline. State space techniques are used for recursive estimation and evaluation as they allowfor irregular spacing of the time series.The model is recently made operational and used for daily forecasting at the Dutch Ministry ofFinance. For this purpose a front-end for model configuration and data input is implemented withVisual C++, while statistical tools and graphical diagnostics are built around Ox and SsfPack. Wepresent the current model and forecasting results up to December 1999. The model and itsforecasts are evaluated.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tinbergen Institute in its series Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers with number 01-032/4.
Date of creation: 23 Mar 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tinbergen.nl
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Harvey, Andrew C & Koopman, Siem Jan, 1992. "Diagnostic Checking of Unobserved-Components Time Series Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 10(4), pages 377-89, October.
- Koopman, S.J.M. & Shephard, N. & Doornik, J.A., 1998.
"Statistical Algorithms for Models in State Space Using SsfPack 2.2,"
1998-141, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Siem Jan Koopman & Neil Shephard & Jurgen A. Doornik, 1999. "Statistical algorithms for models in state space using SsfPack 2.2," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 2(1), pages 107-160.
- Neil Shephard & Jurgen Doornik & Siem Jan Koopman, 1998. "Statistical algorithms for models in state space using SsfPack 2.2," Economics Series Working Papers 1998-W06, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Ooms, M. & Franses, Ph.H.B.F., 1998. "A seasonal periodic long memory model for monthly river flows," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 9842, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Harvey, Andrew & Koopman, Siem Jan & Riani, Marco, 1997. "The Modeling and Seasonal Adjustment of Weekly Observations," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 15(3), pages 354-68, July.
- Koopman, Siem Jan & Ooms, Marius, 2006.
"Forecasting daily time series using periodic unobserved components time series models,"
Computational Statistics & Data Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 885-903, November.
- Siem Jan Koopman & Marius Ooms, 2004. "Forecasting Daily Time Series using Periodic Unobserved Components Time Series Models," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 04-135/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- Eliana González & Luis F. Melo & Luis E. Rojas & Brayan Rojas, .
"Estimations of the natural rate of interest in Colombia,"
Borradores de Economia
626, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Eliana González & Luis F. Melo & Luis E. Rojas & Brayan Rojas, 2010. "Estimations of the natural rate of interest in Colombia," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 007667, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Clive G. Bowsher & Roland Meeks, 2008.
"The dynamics of economics functions: modelling and forecasting the yield curve,"
0804, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Bowsher, Clive G. & Meeks, Roland, 2008. "The Dynamics of Economic Functions: Modeling and Forecasting the Yield Curve," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 103(484), pages 1419-1437.
- Clive G. Bowsher & Roland Meeks, 2008. "The Dynamics of Economic Functions: Modelling and Forecasting the Yield Curve," Economics Papers 2008-W05, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Clive G. Bowsher & Roland Meeks, 2008. "The Dynamics of Economic Functions: Modelling and Forecasting the Yield Curve," Economics Series Working Papers 2008-WO5, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Clive Bowsher & Roland Meeks, 2008. "The Dynamics of Economic Functions: Modelling and Forecasting the Yield Curve," OFRC Working Papers Series 2008fe24, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Alberto Cabrero & Gonzalo Camba-Mendez & Astrid Hirsch & Fernando Nieto, 2002. "Modelling the daily banknotes in circulation in the context of the liquidity management of the European Central Bank," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0211, Banco de Espa�a.
- Cabrero, Alberto & Camba-Méndez, Gonzalo & Hirsch, Astrid & Nieto, Fernando, 2002. "Modelling the daily banknotes in circulation in the context of the liquidity management of the European Central Bank," Working Paper Series 0142, European Central Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Antoine Maartens (+31 626 - 160 892)).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.