A Meta-Analysis of Environmental Impacts of Agri-Environmental Policies in the European Union
AbstractThis paper applies an ANOVA-type of meta-analysis to the evaluation of agri-environmental policy in theEuropean Union. Meta-analysis is concerned with the statistical analysis of previous research results, andhas become an established technique in the medical and natural science. The paper investigates whetherspecific conditions, under which agri-environmental measures are applied, have an effect on thebehaviour of farmers with respect to three indicators, N-fertiliser, livestock density and area of grassland.The results indicate that agri-environmental policy intervention has a positive effect on the behaviour offarmers participating in agri-environmental programmes. The average premium per hectare and theabsolute value of N-fertiliser, livestock density and area of grassland appear to have a significantinfluence on the behaviour of these farmers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tinbergen Institute in its series Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers with number 00-083/3.
Date of creation: 23 Oct 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tinbergen.nl
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2000-11-08 (Agricultural Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brunstad, R.J. & Gaasland, I. & Vardal, E., 1999.
"Agricultural Production and the Optimal Level of Landscape Preservation,"
Norway; Department of Economics, University of Bergen
205, Department of Economics, University of Bergen.
- Rolf Jens Brunstad & Ivar Gaasland & Erling Vårdal, 1999. "Agricultural Production and the Optimal Level of Landscape Preservation (," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 75(4), pages 538-546.
- Drake, Lars, 1992. "The Non-market Value of the Swedish Agricultural Landscape," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 19(3), pages 351-64.
- Pruckner, Gerald J, 1995. "Agricultural Landscape Cultivation in Austria: An Application of the CVM," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 22(2), pages 173-90.
- Brouwer, Roy & Slangen, Louis H G, 1998. "Contingent Valuation of the Public Benefits of Agricultural Wildlife Management: The Case of Dutch Peat Meadow Land," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 25(1), pages 53-72.
- Bromley, Daniel W & Hodge, Ian, 1990. "Private Property Rights and Presumptive Policy Entitlements: Reconsidering the Premises of Rural Policy," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 17(2), pages 197-214.
- Sef R. Baaijens & Peter Nijkamp, 1997. "Explanatory Meta-Analysis of Tourist Income Multipliers," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 97-017/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Kline, Jeffrey & Wichelns, Dennis, 1996. "Measuring Public Preferences for the Environmental Amenities Provided by Farmland," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 23(4), pages 421-36.
- Bezabih, Mintewab, 2005. "Biodiversity Conservation under an Imperfect Seed System: the Role of Community Seed Banking Scheme," Working Papers in Economics 185, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Bezabih, Mintewab, 2005. "Biodiversity Conservation Under an Imperfect Seed System: The Role of Community Seed Banking Scheme," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24685, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Jon Nelson & Peter Kennedy, 2009. "The Use (and Abuse) of Meta-Analysis in Environmental and Natural Resource Economics: An Assessment," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 42(3), pages 345-377, March.
- Atance, Ignacio & Bardaji, Isabel & Tio, Carlos, 2002. "Intervention in Agricultural Systems that Provide Positive Environmental Externalities: an Evaluation of Alternative Instruments," 2002 International Congress, August 28-31, 2002, Zaragoza, Spain 24810, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Antoine Maartens (+31 626 - 160 892)).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.