Limitations on De-collectivisation in Central European Agriculture
AbstractFollowing formal privatisation of farm land and assets in CentralEurope, the change in agriculturalproduction structures has been both more limited and different thanwas initially expected. In this paper, thetheoretical reasons underlying those expectations are reviewed. Analternative theoretical framework issuggested, through which the causes of actual structural changes areanalysed. Its premises and hypothesesare compared to primary survey data from the Czech Republic.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tinbergen Institute in its series Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers with number 00-037/2.
Date of creation: 01 May 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tinbergen.nl
Transition; Central Europe; Agriculture; New Institutional Economics; Survey Data;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D23 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Organizational Behavior; Transaction Costs; Property Rights
- O13 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Agriculture; Natural Resources; Environment; Other Primary Products
- P23 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Systems and Transition Economies - - - Factor and Product Markets; Industry Studies; Population
- P32 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Institutions and Their Transitions - - - Collectives; Communes; Agricultural Institutions
- Q12 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Micro Analysis of Farm Firms, Farm Households, and Farm Input Markets
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pollak, Robert A, 1985. "A Transaction Cost Approach to Families and Households," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 23(2), pages 581-608, June.
- Armen A. Alchian & Harold Demsetz, 1971.
"Production, Information Costs and Economic Organizations,"
UCLA Economics Working Papers
10A, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Alchian, Armen A & Demsetz, Harold, 1972. "Production , Information Costs, and Economic Organization," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 62(5), pages 777-95, December.
- Junior R Davis & Angela Gaburici & Paul G. Hare, 1998. "What's Wrong with Romanian Rural Finance? Understanding the Determinants of Private Farmers' Access to Credit," CERT Discussion Papers 9808, Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation, Heriot Watt University.
- J.R. Davis & P.G. Hare, 1997. "Reforming the Systems of Rural Finance Provision in Romania: Some Options for Privatisation and Change," CERT Discussion Papers 9713, Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation, Heriot Watt University.
- Ellman,Michael, 1989. "Socialist Planning," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521358668, October.
- Gow, Hamish R & Swinnen, Johan F M, 1998. "Up- and Downstream Restructuring, Foreign Direct Investment, and Hold-Up Problems in Agricultural Transition," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 25(3), pages 331-50.
- Bardhan, Pranab, 1993. "Analytics of the institutions of informal cooperation in rural development," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 633-639, April.
- Rizov, Marian & Gavrilescu, Dinu & Gow, Hamish & Mathijs, Erik & Swinnen, Johan F. M., 2001. "Transition and Enterprise Restructuring: The Development of Individual Farming in Romania," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(7), pages 1257-1274, July.
- Cungu, Azeta & Swinnen, Johan F M, 1999. "Albania's Radical Agrarian Reform," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 47(3), pages 605-19, April.
- Deininger, Klaus, 1995. "Collective agricultural production: A solution for transition economies?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 23(8), pages 1317-1334, August.
- Csaki, Csaba & Lerman, Zvi, 1994. "Land Reform and Farm Sector Restructuring in the Former Socialist Countries in Europe," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 21(3-4), pages 553-76.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Antoine Maartens (+31 626 - 160 892)).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.