A Comparison of Minimum MSE and Maximum Power for the nearly Integrated Non-Gaussian Model
AbstractWe study the optimal choice of quasi-likelihoods for nearly integrated,possibly non-normal, autoregressive models. It turns out that the two mostnatural candidate criteria, minimum Mean Squared Error (MSE) and maximumpower against the unit root null, give rise to different optimalquasi-likelihoods. In both cases, the functional specification of theoptimal quasi-likelihood is the same: it is a combination of the truelikelihood and the Gaussian quasi-likelihood. The optimal relativeweights, however, depend on the criterion chosen and are markedlydifferent. Throughout, we base our results on exact limiting distributiontheory. We derive a new explicit expression for the joint density of theminimal sufficient functionals of Ornstein-Uhlenbeck processes, which alsohas applications in other fields, and we characterize its behaviour forextreme values of its arguments. Using these results, we derive theasymptotic power functions of statistics which converge weakly tocombinations of these sufficient functionals. Finally, we evaluatenumerically our computationally-efficient formulae.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tinbergen Institute in its series Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers with number 00-033/4.
Date of creation: 18 Apr 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tinbergen.nl
Other versions of this item:
- Abadir, Karim M. & Lucas, Andre, 2004. "A comparison of minimum MSE and maximum power for the nearly integrated non-Gaussian model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 119(1), pages 45-71, March.
- Karim M. Abadir & André Lucas, . "A Comparison of Minimum MSE and Maximum Power for the Nearly Integrated Non-Gaussian Model," Discussion Papers 00/21, Department of Economics, University of York.
- NEP-ALL-2000-06-29 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2000-06-29 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2000-06-29 (Econometric Time Series)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lucas, André, 1995. "Unit Root Tests Based on M Estimators," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(02), pages 331-346, February.
- Rothenberg, Thomas J. & Stock, James H., 1997. "Inference in a nearly integrated autoregressive model with nonnormal innovations," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 80(2), pages 269-286, October.
- Perron, P., 1987.
"The Calculation of the Limiting Distribution of the Least Squares Estimator in Near-Integrated Model,"
Cahiers de recherche
8748, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Perron, Pierre, 1989. "The Calculation of the Limiting Distribution of the Least-Squares Estimator in a Near-Integrated Model," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 5(02), pages 241-255, August.
- Abadir, Karim M, 1992. "A Distribution Generating Equation for Unit-Root Statistics," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 54(3), pages 305-23, August.
- Abadir, Karim, 1995.
"An Introduction to Hypergeometric Functions for Economists,"
9510, Exeter University, Department of Economics.
- Karim Abadir, 1999. "An introduction to hypergeometric functions for economists," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(3), pages 287-330.
- Elliott, Graham & Rothenberg, Thomas J & Stock, James H, 1996.
"Efficient Tests for an Autoregressive Unit Root,"
Econometric Society, vol. 64(4), pages 813-36, July.
- Tom Doan, . "ERSTEST: RATS procedure to perform Elliott-Rothenberg-Stock unit root tests," Statistical Software Components RTS00066, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "GLSDETREND: RATS procedure to perform local to unity GLS detrending," Statistical Software Components RTS00077, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Graham Elliott & Thomas J. Rothenberg & James H. Stock, 1992. "Efficient Tests for an Autoregressive Unit Root," NBER Technical Working Papers 0130, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:cup:etheor:v:11:y:1995:i:2:p:331-46 is not listed on IDEAS
- Abadir, Karim M. & Lucas, Andre, 2000. "Quantiles for t-statistics based on M-estimators of unit roots," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 131-137, May.
- Larsson, Rolf, 1995. "The Asymptotic Distributions Of Some Test Statistics in Near-Integrated AR Processes," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(02), pages 306-330, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Antoine Maartens (+31 626 - 160 892)).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.