Business Ownership and Economic Growth in 23 OECD Countries
AbstractIn the present paper we address the relationship between the extentof business ownership (self-employment) and economic development. We will focusupon three issues. First, how is the equilibrium rate of business ownershiprelated to the stage of economic development? Second, what is the speed ofconvergence towards the equilibrium rate when the rate of business ownership is out-of-equilibrium? Third, to what extent does deviating from the equilibrium rate of business ownership lead to less economic growth? Hypotheses concerning all three issues are formulated setting up a new two-equation model. We findconfirmation for the hypothesised effects using a data panel of 23 OECD countries. An important policy implication of our exercises is that low barriers to entry and exit of self-employed/businesses are necessary conditions for the equilibrium seeking mechanisms that are vital for a sound economic development.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tinbergen Institute in its series Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers with number 00-001/3.
Date of creation: 10 Feb 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tinbergen.nl
business ownership; economic growth; entrepreneurship;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L16 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Industrial Organization and Macroeconomics; Macroeconomic Industrial Structure
- O12 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Microeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2000-01-31 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2000-01-31 (Development)
- NEP-HIS-2000-01-31 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Marco van Gelderen & Roy Thurik & Micheal Frese, 2000.
"Strategies, uncertainty and performance of small business startups,"
Scales Research Reports
H200001, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Marco von Gelderen & Michael Frese & Roy Thurik, 2000. "Strategies, Uncertainty and Performance of Small Business Startups," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 15(3), pages 165-181, November.
- van Gelderen, Marco & Frese, Michael & Thurik, Roy, 2000. " Strategies, Uncertainty and Performance of Small Business Startups," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 15(3), pages 165-81.
- van Gelderen, M. & Frese, M. & Thurik, R., 2000. "Strategies, Uncertainty and Performance of Small Business Startups," Papers 0001/e, NEUHUYS - RESEARCH INSTITUTE FOR SMALL AND MEDIUM.
- van Gelderen, A.M. & Frese, M. & Thurik, A.R., 2000. "Strategies, Uncertainty and Performance of Small Business Startups," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2000-18-STR, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
- Antonio García-Tabuenca & José Crespo-Espert & Juan Cuadrado-Roura, 2011.
"Entrepreneurship, creative industries and regional dynamics in Spain,"
The Annals of Regional Science,
Springer, vol. 47(3), pages 659-687, December.
- Antonio García-Tabuenca & José Luis Crespo-Espert & Juan R. Cuadrado-Roura, 2008. "Entrepreneurship, creative industries and regional dynamics in Spain," Working Papers 06/08, Instituto Universitario de Análisis Económico y Social.
- André van Stel & Roy Thurik & David Audretsch & Martin Carree, 2007.
"Does Self-Employment Reduce Unemployment?,"
Scales Research Reports
H200709, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- André van Stel & Roy Thurik & David Audretsch & Martin Carree, 2005. "Does Self-Employment Reduce Unemployment?," Scales Research Reports N200504, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- David B. Audretsch & Roy Thurik & Andre van Stel & M.A. Carree, 2006. "Does Self-Employment Reduce Unemployment?," Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy 2005-07, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- A. Roy Thurik & Martin A. Carree & Andre van Stel & David B. Audretsch, 2007. "Does Self-Employment reduce Unemployment?," Jena Economic Research Papers 2007-089, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
- Audretsch, David B & Carree, Martin A & Thurik, A R Roy & van Stel, A J, 2005. "Does Self-Employment Reduce Unemployment?," CEPR Discussion Papers 5057, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pia Arenius & Maria Minniti, 2005. "Perceptual Variables and Nascent Entrepreneurship," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 24(3), pages 233-247, 02.
- Howard Frederick & Erik Monsen, 2011. "New Zealand’s perfect storm of entrepreneurship and economic development," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 37(2), pages 187-204, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Antoine Maartens (+31 626 - 160 892)).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.