A Branch and Price Algorithm for the Multi-Period Single-Sourcing Problem
AbstractIn this paper we propose a Branch and Price algorithm for solving multi-periodsingle-sourcing problems. In particular, we generalize a Branch and Price algorithm thatwas developed for the Generalized Assignment Problem (GAP) to a class of convexassignment problems. We then identify an important subclass of problems, containing manyvariants of the multi-period single-sourcing problem (MPSSP), as well as variants of theGAP, for which we derive an efficient solution procedure for the pricing problem, acritical factor in the efficiency of the Branch and Price algorithm. We execute anextensive numerical comparison between the performances of the Branch and Price algorithmand the MIP solver of CPLEX for a particular variant of the MPSSP.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tinbergen Institute in its series Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers with number 99-092/4.
Date of creation: 30 Nov 1999
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tinbergen.nl
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- A. M. Geoffrion & G. W. Graves, 1974. "Multicommodity Distribution System Design by Benders Decomposition," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 20(5), pages 822-844, January.
- repec:fth:erroem:9661/a is not listed on IDEAS
- Fleischmann, Bernhard, 1993. "Designing distribution systems with transport economies of scale," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 31-42, October.
- Cattrysse, Dirk. G. & Salomon, Marc & Van Wassenhove, Luk N., 1994. "A set partitioning heuristic for the generalized assignment problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 167-174, January.
- Duran, F., 1987. "A large mixed integer production and distribution program," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 207-217, February.
- Romeijn, H.E. & Romero Morales, D., 2000. "A Greedy Heuristic for a Three-Level Multi-Period Single-Sourcing Problem," Research Paper ERS-2000-04-LIS, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Antoine Maartens (+31 626 - 160 892)).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.