Productivity Convergence in OECD Manufacturing Industries
AbstractThe extent of beta- and sigma-convergence of average labor productivity across manufacturing industries in 18 OECD-countries over the period 1972-1992 show large inter-industry differences. One reason for these differences is knowledge and capital barriers preventing catch-up to occur. We find the level of averagelabor productivity, as a proxy for these barriers, to be correlated with the extent of convergence.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tinbergen Institute in its series Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers with number 99-065/3.
Date of creation: 24 Aug 1999
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tinbergen.nl
Other versions of this item:
- Carree, M. A. & Klomp, L. & Thurik, A. R., 2000. "Productivity convergence in OECD manufacturing industries," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 66(3), pages 337-345, March.
- NEP-ALL-1999-09-21 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-1999-09-21 (Development)
- NEP-INO-1999-09-21 (Innovation)
- NEP-TID-1999-09-21 (Technology & Industrial Dynamics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bernard, Andrew B & Jones, Charles I, 1996.
"Productivity across Industries and Countries: Time Series Theory and Evidence,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 78(1), pages 135-46, February.
- Bernard, A.B. & Jones, C.I., 1993. "Productivity Across Industries and Countries: Time Series Theory and Evidence," Working papers 93-17, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Paul Romer, 1991.
"Endogenous Technological Change,"
NBER Working Papers
3210, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lichtenberg, Frank R, 1994. "Testing the Convergence Hypothesis," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 76(3), pages 576-79, August.
- Le Pen, Yannick, 1997. "Convergence des revenus par tête : un tour d'horizon," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/6862, Paris Dauphine University.
- Cohen, Wesley M & Levinthal, Daniel A, 1989. "Innovation and Learning: The Two Faces of R&D," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 99(397), pages 569-96, September.
- Kevin Lee & M. Hashem Pesaran & Ron Smith, 1998. "Growth Empirics: A Panel Data Approach- A Comment," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 113(1), pages 319-323, February.
- Friedman, Milton, 1992. "Do Old Fallacies Ever Die?," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 30(4), pages 2129-32, December.
- Gouyette, Claudine & Perelman, Sergio, 1997. "Productivity convergence in OECD service industries," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 279-295, August.
- Quah, Danny, 1993.
"Galton's Fallacy and Tests of the Convergence Hypothesis,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
820, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Quah, Danny, 1993. " Galton's Fallacy and Tests of the Convergence Hypothesis," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 95(4), pages 427-43, December.
- Islam, Nazrul, 1995. "Growth Empirics: A Panel Data Approach," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 110(4), pages 1127-70, November.
- Bernard, Andrew B & Jones, Charles I, 1996. "Comparing Apples to Oranges: Productivity Convergence and Measurement across Industries and Countries," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(5), pages 1216-38, December.
- Martin Carree & Luuk Klomp, 1997. "Testing The Convergence Hypothesis: A Comment," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(4), pages 683-686, November.
- Bernard, Andrew B & Jones, Charles I, 1996. "Productivity and Convergence across U.S. States and Industries," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 21(1), pages 113-35.
- Klaus Gugler & Michael Pfaffermayr, 2004.
"Convergence in Structure and Productivity in European Manufacturing?,"
German Economic Review,
Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 5(1), pages 61-79, 02.
- Klaus Gugler & Michael Pfaffermayr, . "Convergence in Structure and Productivity in European Manufacturing?," WIFO Working Papers 127, WIFO.
- Nagubadi, Rao V. & Zhang, Daowei & Thompson, Henry, 2006. "Total Factor Productivity and Canadian Softwood Lumber Imports," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21311, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- repec:wfo:wquart:y:2000:i:2:p:93-104 is not listed on IDEAS
- Eliseo Díaz González, 2006. "La productividad total de factores en la industria eléctrica y electrónica. El caso de la industria maquiladora en México," Economia Mexicana NUEVA EPOCA, , vol. 0(2), pages 251-287, July-Dece.
- Togo, Ken, 2002. "Productivity convergence in Japan's manufacturing industries," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 75(1), pages 61-67, March.
- Georgios Fotopoulos, 2005. "Twin - Peaks in E.U. Regional Productivity Dynamics: a nonparametric analysis," Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy 2005-28, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- Riccardo Crescenzi & Guido Fabiani, 2007. "Globalizzazione e Convergenza dei Sistemi Agro-Alimentari delle economie industriali," Departmental Working Papers of Economics - University 'Roma Tre' 0074, Department of Economics - University Roma Tre.
- Anders Sorensen, 2001. "Comparing Apples to Oranges: Productivity Convergence and Measurement across Industries and Countries: Comment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(4), pages 1160-1167, September.
- Xuemei Bai & Gang Li, 2004. "Industrial Productivity Convergence in China," Journal of Chinese Economic and Business Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 2(2), pages 155-168.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Antoine Maartens (+31 626 - 160 892)).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.