Growth Effects of Fiscal Policies - A Comparative Analysis in a Multi-Country Context
AbstractThe potential interactions among fiscal policies, investments and economicgrowth are complex and manifold.In this paper, we will perform a systematic comparative analysis of the variouseconomic insights that arecurrently available on these complex relationships, both theoretically (by aselective literature review) andempirically (by investigating available data from various countries). Despitethe wide variety of potentialtheoretical relationships between government expenditures, taxation and growth,most empirical analyses arerestricted to simple linear regressions of growth on some measure of governmentexpenditures. Based onempirical experiments, we will indicate directions for future empirical researchthat may enrich our knowledgeon the complex relationship between fiscal policies and economic growth, notonly nationally but also regionally.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tinbergen Institute in its series Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers with number 99-042/3.
Date of creation: 08 Jun 1999
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tinbergen.nl
fiscal policy; government spending; taxation; economic growth; comparative analysis;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O11 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Macroeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
- O23 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Development Planning and Policy - - - Fiscal and Monetary Policy in Development
- O47 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Measurement of Economic Growth; Aggregate Productivity; Cross-Country Output Convergence
- O57 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Comparative Studies of Countries
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-1999-07-28 (All new papers)
- NEP-CDM-1999-07-28 (Collective Decision-Making)
- NEP-DEV-1999-07-28 (Development)
- NEP-PUB-1999-07-28 (Public Finance)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Torsten Persson & Guido Tabellini, 1991.
"Is Inequality Harmful for Growth? Theory and Evidence,"
NBER Working Papers
3599, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Persson, Torsten & Tabellini, Guido, 1991. "Is Inequality Harmful for Growth? Theory and Evidence," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt00x7n68q, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Torsten Persson and Guido Tabellini., 1991. "Is Inequality Harmful for Growth? Theory and Evidence," Economics Working Papers 91-155, University of California at Berkeley.
- Persson, Torsten & Tabellini, Guido, 1991. "Is Inequality Harmful for Growth? Theory and Evidence," CEPR Discussion Papers 581, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Barro, Robert J, 1991.
"Economic Growth in a Cross Section of Countries,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 106(2), pages 407-43, May.
- Robert J. Barro, 1991. "Economic Growth in a Cross Section of Countries," NBER Working Papers 3120, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barro, R.J., 1989. "Economic Growth In A Cross Section Of Countries," RCER Working Papers 201, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Acs, Zoltan J & Audretsch, David B & Feldman, Maryann P, 1994. "R&D Spillovers and Recipient Firm Size," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 76(2), pages 336-40, May.
- Levine, Ross & Renelt, David, 1992.
"A Sensitivity Analysis of Cross-Country Growth Regressions,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 82(4), pages 942-63, September.
- Levine, Ross & Renelt, David, 1991. "A sensitivity analysis of cross-country growth regressions," Policy Research Working Paper Series 609, The World Bank.
- Richard E. Baldwin, 1998.
"Agglomeration and Endogenous Capital,"
NBER Working Papers
6459, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Clarke, George R. G., 1992.
"More evidence on income distribution and growth,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1064, The World Bank.
- Ottaviano, Gianmarco I. P., 1999.
"Integration, geography and the burden of history,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 245-256, March.
- Robert J. Barro & Paul M. Romer, 1991.
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number barr91-1.
- Puga, Diego, 1997.
"The Rise and Fall of Regional Inequalities,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1575, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Paul M Romer, 1999.
"Increasing Returns and Long-Run Growth,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
2232, David K. Levine.
- Ben-David, D., 1995.
"Trade and Convergence Among Countries,"
35-95, Tel Aviv.
- Barro, Robert J., 1990.
"Government Spending in a Simple Model of Endogeneous Growth,"
3451296, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Barro, Robert J, 1990. "Government Spending in a Simple Model of Endogenous Growth," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(5), pages S103-26, October.
- Barro, R.J., 1988. "Government Spending In A Simple Model Of Endogenous Growth," RCER Working Papers 130, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Robert J. Barro, 1991. "Government Spending in a Simple Model of Endogenous Growth," NBER Working Papers 2588, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Peter Nijkamp & Jacques Poot, 1998. "original: Spatial perspectives on new theories of economic growth," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 32(1), pages 7-37.
- Krugman, Paul R, 1993. "On the Relationship between Trade Theory and Location Theory," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 1(2), pages 110-22, June.
- Magrini, Stefano, 1999. "The evolution of income disparities among the regions of the European Union," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 257-281, March.
- McAleer, Michael, 1994. " Sherlock Holmes and the Search for Truth: A Diagnostic Tale," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 8(4), pages 317-70, December.
- Jonathan Temple, 1999. "The New Growth Evidence," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 37(1), pages 112-156, March.
- Groot, H.L.F. de, 1998. "Economic Growth, Sectoral Structure and Unemployment," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-76807, Tilburg University.
- Easterly, William & Kremer, Michael & Pritchett, Lant & Summers, Lawrence H., 1993.
"Good policy or good luck?: Country growth performance and temporary shocks,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 459-483, December.
- William Easterly & Michael Kremer & Lant Pritchett & Lawrence H. Summers, 1993. "Good Policy or Good Luck? Country Growth Performance and Temporary Shocks," NBER Working Papers 4474, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Masahisa Fujita & Tomoya Mori, 1998. "original: On the dynamics of frontier economies: Endogenous growth or the self-organization of a dissipative system?," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 32(1), pages 39-62.
- McAleer, Michael & Veall, Michael R, 1989. "How Fragile Are Fragile Inferences? A Re-evaluation of the Deterrent Effect of Capital Punishment," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(1), pages 99-106, February.
- M van Geenhuizen & P Nijkamp, 1998. "Potentials for East - West integration: the case of foreign direct investment," Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 16(1), pages 105-120, February.
- Levine, Ross & Zervos, Sara, 1993. "Looking at the facts : what we know about policy and growth from cross-country analysis," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1115, The World Bank.
- Nikos Benos, 2005. "Fiscal Policy and Economic Growth: Empirical Evidence from OECD," University of Cyprus Working Papers in Economics 1-2005, University of Cyprus Department of Economics.
- Maria Rosaria Alfano, 2005. "Tax Competition in EU implies EMTR different: some effects on FDI and Economic Growth Rate," Public Economics 0510015, EconWPA.
- Fic, Tatiana & Ghate, Chetan, 2005.
"The welfare state, thresholds, and economic growth,"
Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 571-598, May.
- Tatiana Fic & Chetan Ghate, 2004. "The Welfare State, Thresholds, and Economic Growth," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 424, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Antoine Maartens (+31 626 - 160 892)).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.