A Pricing Model for American Options with Stochastic Interest Rates
AbstractIn this paper we introduce a new methodology to price American put options under stochastic interestrates. The method is a combination of an analytic approach and a binomial tree approach. We constructa binomial tree for the forward risk adjusted tree and calculate analytically the expected early exercisevalue in each point. For American puts with stochastic interest rates the correlation between the stockprice process has different influences on the European option values and the early exercise premiums.This results in a nonmonotonic relation between this correlation and the American put option value.Furthermore, there is evidence that the early exercise premium due to stochastic interest rates is muchlarger than established before by other researchers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tinbergen Institute in its series Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers with number 98-028/2.
Date of creation: 10 Mar 1998
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tinbergen.nl
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ho, T S & Stapleton, Richard C & Subrahmanyam, Marti G, 1997. " The Valuation of American Options with Stochastic Interest Rates: A Generalization of the Geske-Johnson Technique," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(2), pages 827-40, June.
- Geske, Robert & Johnson, Herb E, 1984. " The American Put Option Valued Analytically," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(5), pages 1511-24, December.
- Amin, Kaushik I & Bodurtha, James N, Jr, 1995. "Discrete-Time Valuation of American Options with Stochastic Interest Rates," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 8(1), pages 193-234.
- João Nunes, 2011. "American options and callable bonds under stochastic interest rates and endogenous bankruptcy," Review of Derivatives Research, Springer, vol. 14(3), pages 283-332, October.
- Haishi Huang, 2009. "Convertible Bonds: Risks and Optimal Strategies," Bonn Econ Discussion Papers bgse07_2010, University of Bonn, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Antoine Maartens (+31 626 - 160 892)).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.