Driving Forces of Venture Capital Investments in Europe: A Dynamic Panel Data Analysis
AbstractUsing dynamic panel estimations, this paper identifies driving forces of venture capital activity for Western European countries. Driving forces might be the liquidity of stock markets, human capital endowment, and labour market rigidities. I find that these factors do not affect expansion stage investments used as a broader definition of venture capital, while they positively affect early stage investments used as a narrow definition. Thus, the results suggest not only that liquid stock markets play an important role for the development of venture capital markets but also that they are not the only factor that drives venture capital activity
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by United Nations University, Institute for New Technologies in its series EIFC - Technology and Finance Working Papers with number 27.
Date of creation: 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.intech.unu.edu
venture capital investments; Europe; dynamic panel;
Other versions of this item:
- Andrea Schertler, 2003. "Driving Forces of Venture Capital Investments in Europe: A Dynamic Panel Data Analysis," Kiel Working Papers 1172, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- G24 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Investment Banking; Venture Capital; Brokerage
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2003-10-12 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2003-10-12 (European Economics)
- NEP-ENT-2003-10-12 (Entrepreneurship)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Judson, Ruth A. & Owen, Ann L., 1999. "Estimating dynamic panel data models: a guide for macroeconomists," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 9-15, October.
- Engel, Dirk, 2001.
"Höheres Beschäftigungswachstum durch Venture Capital?,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
01-34, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Dirk Engel, 2003. "Höheres Beschäftigungswachstum durch Venture Capital?," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 223(1), pages 1-22.
- James M. Poterba, 1989.
"Venture Capital and Capital Gains Taxation,"
in: Tax Policy and the Economy, Volume 3, pages 47-68
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert Vishny, .
"Investor Protection and Corporate Governance,"
19455, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Amit, Raphael & Brander, James & Zott, Christoph, 1998. "Why do venture capital firms exist? theory and canadian evidence," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 13(6), pages 441-466, November.
- Jeng, Leslie A. & Wells, Philippe C., 2000. "The determinants of venture capital funding: evidence across countries," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 241-289, September.
- Sahlman, William A., 1990. "The structure and governance of venture-capital organizations," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 473-521, October.
- Bottazzi, Laura & Da Rin, Marco, 2002.
"Europe's 'New' Stock Markets,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3521, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Black, Bernard S. & Gilson, Ronald J., 1998. "Venture capital and the structure of capital markets: banks versus stock markets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 243-277, March.
- José Martí Pellón & Marina Balboa, 2003. "Characterisation Of The Reputation Of Private Equity Managers: Evidence In Spain," Working Papers. Serie EC 2003-16, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Christian Schröder, 2009.
"Financial System and Innovations: Determinants of Early Stage Venture Capital in Europe,"
EIIW Discussion paper
disbei167, Universitätsbibliothek Wuppertal, University Library.
- Christian Schröder, 2009. "Financial System and Innovations-Determinants of Early Stage Venture Capital in Europe," Schumpeter Discussion Papers sdp09004, Universitätsbibliothek Wuppertal, University Library.
- Groh, Alexander Peter & von Liechtenstein, Heinrich & Lieser, Karsten, 2010. "The European Venture Capital and Private Equity country attractiveness indices," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 205-224, April.
- Francesco Bogliacino & Matteo Lucchese, 2011.
"Access to finance for innovation: the role of venture capital and the stock market,"
JRC-IPTS Working Papers on Corporate R&D and Innovation
2011-05, Institute of Prospective Technological Studies, Joint Research Centre.
- Francesco Bogliacino & Matteo Lucchese, 2011. "Access to finance for innovation: the role of venture capital and the stock market," ECONOMIA E POLITICA INDUSTRIALE, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2011(4), pages 165-183.
- Elisabete Félix & Cesaltina Pires & Mohamed Gulamhussen, 2013.
"The Determinants of Venture Capital in Europe — Evidence Across Countries,"
Journal of Financial Services Research,
Springer, vol. 44(3), pages 259-279, December.
- Elisabete Gomes Santana Felix & Cesaltina Pires & Mohamed Azzim Gulamhussenb, 2007. "The Determinants of Venture Capital in Europe - Evidence Across Countries," CEFAGE-UE Working Papers 2007_01, University of Evora, CEFAGE-UE (Portugal).
- van Pottelsberghe de la Potterie, Bruno & Romain, Astrid, 2004. "The Determinants of Venture Capital: Additional Evidence," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2004,19, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Karim Chaabouni, 2011. "Determinants And Legitimacy Of Venture Capital Financing: An Empirical Verification," Anadolu University Journal of Social Sciences, Anadolu University, vol. 11(1), pages 27-38, January.
- Groh, Alexander P. & Liechtenstein, Heinrich & Lieser, Karsten, 2008. "The European venture capital and private equity country attractiveness index(es)," IESE Research Papers D/773, IESE Business School.
- repec:diw:diwfin:diwfin03050 is not listed on IDEAS
- Michael Stolpe, 2004. "Europe's Entry into the Venture Capital Business: Efficiency and Policy," Kiel Working Papers 1223, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Groh, Alexander Peter & von Liechtenstein, Heinrich, 2009. "How attractive is central Eastern Europe for risk capital investors?," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 625-647, June.
- Groh, Alexander P. & Liectenstein, Heinrich, 2009. "The first step of the capital flow from institutions to entrepreneurs: The criteria for sorting venture capital funds," IESE Research Papers D/795, IESE Business School.
- Roland Füss & Denis Schweizer, 2012. "Short and long-term interactions between venture capital returns and the macroeconomy: evidence for the United States," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 38(3), pages 391-410, April.
- Groh, Alexander P., 2009. "Private equity in emerging markets," IESE Research Papers D/779, IESE Business School.
- Groh, Alexander P. & Liechtenstein, Heinrich & Canela, Miguel A., 2008. "Limited partners' perceptions of the Central Eastern European venture capital and private equity market," IESE Research Papers D/727, IESE Business School.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ad Notten).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.