Integration of European Banking and Financial Markets
AbstractThis paper investigates banking and capital market developments in Europe and the moves towards the creation of a single financial services market. A critical element in the integration process is the success of the EU's Financial Services Action Plan (FSAP). This seeks to introduce a wide range of legislation aimed at reducing barriers and promoting cross-border trade in financial services - especially for capital markets and retail / SME financial service areas. As was the case in 1992, it is likely that the expectation of further financial market integration will encourage market participants to adjust their strategies in the light of these developments. Or to put it another way, many banks are likely to accelerate their plans to sell financial products cross-border given the changing environment. Stock and derivative markets will be encouraged to consolidate and investment and pension funds in the Euro zone will increasingly embrace the equity market culture and so on. Regulatory standards in the financial sector will move in line with international best practise and further harmonisation will take place. The challenge for the financial services industry is to reorganise and adapt to this new environment. Targeting a successful pan-European strategy post-2005 (the deadline for the FSAP) will be of critical importance for financial services firms in general
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by United Nations University, Institute for New Technologies in its series EIFC - Technology and Finance Working Papers with number 14.
Date of creation: 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.intech.unu.edu
International Financial Market; European Integration; Legislation; Financial Services; Europe;
Other versions of this item:
- Marques Ibanez, David & Molyneux, Philip, 2001. "Integration of European Banking and Financial Markets," EIFC - Technology and Finance Working Papers 14, United Nations University, Institute for New Technologies.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cybo-Ottone, Alberto & Murgia, Maurizio, 2000. "Mergers and shareholder wealth in European banking," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 831-859, June.
- Jacob A. Bikker, 2001.
"Efficiency in the European banking industry: an exploratory analysis to rank contries,"
Brussels Economic Review,
ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles, vol. 17.
- J.A. Bikker, 1999. "Efficiency in the European banking industry: an exploratory analysis to rank countries," Research Series Supervision (discontinued) 18, Netherlands Central Bank, Directorate Supervision.
- J.A. Bikker & K. Haaf, 2001.
"Competition, Concentration and their Relationship: an EmpiricalAnalysis of the Banking Industry,"
DNB Staff Reports (discontinued)
68, Netherlands Central Bank.
- Bikker, Jacob A. & Haaf, Katharina, 2002. "Competition, concentration and their relationship: An empirical analysis of the banking industry," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(11), pages 2191-2214, November.
- J.A. Bikker & K. Haaf, 2000. "Competition, concentration and their relationship: an empirical analysis of the banking industry," Research Series Supervision (discontinued) 30, Netherlands Central Bank, Directorate Supervision.
- Francisco Pérez García & Javier Quesada Ibañez & Joaquín Maudos Villarroya & José Manuel Pastor Monsálvez, 1999.
"- Cost And Profit Efficiency In European Banks,"
Working Papers. Serie EC
1999-12, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Maudos, Joaquin & Pastor, Jose M. & Perez, Francisco & Quesada, Javier, 2002. "Cost and profit efficiency in European banks," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 33-58, February.
- G.J. de Bondt & H.M. Prast, 1999.
"Bank capital ratios in the 1990s: cross-country evidence,"
WO Research Memoranda (discontinued)
603, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Gabe J. De Bondt & Henriette M. Prast, 2000. "Bank capital ratios in the 1990s: cross-country evidence," Banca Nazionale del Lavoro Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 53(212), pages 71-97.
- Gabe J. De Bondt & Henriette M. Prast, 2000. "Bank capital ratios in the 1990s: cross-country evidence," BNL Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 53(212), pages 71-97.
- Altunbas, Yener & Molyneux, Philip & Thornton, John, 1997. "Big-Bank Mergers in Europe: An Analysis of the Cost Implications," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 64(254), pages 317-29, May.
- Carmen Matutes & Xavier Vives, 1992.
"Competition for Deposits, Risk of Failure, and Regulation in Banking,"
CEPR Financial Markets Paper
0018, European Science Foundation Network in Financial Markets, c/o C.E.P.R, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.
- Matutes, C. & Vives, X., 1992. "Competition for Deposits, Risk of Failure, and Regulation in Banking," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 193.92, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Bhattacharya Sudipto & Thakor Anjan V., 1993. "Contemporary Banking Theory," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 2-50, October.
- Fredric S. Mishkin & Philip E. Strahan, 1999. "What Will Technology Do to Financial Structure?," NBER Working Papers 6892, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jean Dermine, 2000. "Bank Mergers in Europe: The Public Policy Issues," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(3), pages 409-425, 09.
- Altunbas, Y. & Gardener, E. P. M. & Molyneux, P. & Moore, B., 2001. "Efficiency in European banking," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(10), pages 1931-1955, December.
- E.P. Davis & Sinikka Salo, 1998. "Excess Capacity in EU and US Banking Sectors - Conceptual, Measurement and Policy Issues," FMG Special Papers sp105, Financial Markets Group.
- Georgios E. Chortareas & Claudia Girardone & Jesus Gustavo Garza-Garcia, 2010. "Banking Sector Performance in Some Latin American Countries: Market Power versus Efficiency," Working Papers 2010-20, Banco de México.
- Sõrg, Mart & Tuusis, Danel, 2008. "Foreign banks increase the social orientation of Estonian financial sector," Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Diskussionspapiere 01/2008, Ernst Moritz Arndt University of Greifswald, Faculty of Law and Economics.
- Horst Gischer & Toni Richter, 2011. "'Global Player' im Bankenwesen - ökonomisch sinnvoll oder problembehaftet?," FEMM Working Papers 110012, Otto-von-Guericke University Magdeburg, Faculty of Economics and Management.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ad Notten).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.