European Financial Markets after Emu: A Review of Recent Literature and Evidence
AbstractAs financial transactions become more integrated, many governments and policy makers have been exploring how they can increase the breath of capital markets. Increasing emphasis has been placed in recent years to the approach that the financial system is an important mechanism directly linked to the performance of the real economy. This paper adopts a methodology, which combines the systemic approach to financial institutions and recent developments in the study of capital structure, investment decisions and technological change. The view that there are important interactions between financial systems and corporate performance leads to a systemic approach to corporate performance. The performance of manufacturing industries must be considered in the context of the overall structure of economies. Differences across countries in the structure of capital markets, industrial organisation aspects of manufacturing sectors and product markets are all closely interlinked. It is therefore impossible to consider significant changes in one independent of the others. In particular, policies which promote the adoption of specific forms of financial intermediation have to take account of the product and industrial organisation context within which they are being contemplated.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by United Nations University, Institute for New Technologies in its series EIFC - Technology and Finance Working Papers with number 1.
Date of creation: 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.intech.unu.edu
Financial Markets; Financial System; Industry; Investment; Technological Change; Europe; European Monetary System; Monetary Areas;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Masahiko Aoki & Serdar Dinc, 1997. "Relational Financing as an Institution and its Viability under Competition," Working Papers 97011, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- Dieter Ernst & Paolo Guerrieri, 1997. "International Production Networks And Changing Trade Patterns In East Asia The Case Of The Electronics Industry," DRUID Working Papers 97-7, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- R. Glenn Hubbard, 1997.
"Capital-Market Imperfections and Investment,"
NBER Working Papers
5996, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michel Habib & Alexander Ljungqvist, 1999.
"Underpricing and Entrepreneurial Wealth Losses in IPOs: Theory and Evidence,"
OFRC Working Papers Series
1999fe03, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Habib, Michel A & Ljungqvist, Alexander P, 2001. "Underpricing and Entrepreneurial Wealth Losses in IPOs: Theory and Evidence," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 14(2), pages 433-58.
- Audretsch, David B & Elston, Julie A, 1997. " Financing the German Mittelstand," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 97-110, April.
- Levine, Ross, 1996.
"Financial development and economic growth : views and agenda,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1678, The World Bank.
- Ross Levine, 1997. "Financial Development and Economic Growth: Views and Agenda," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(2), pages 688-726, June.
- Brav, Alon & Gompers, Paul A, 1997. " Myth or Reality? The Long-Run Underperformance of Initial Public Offerings: Evidence from Venture and Nonventure Capital-Backed Companies," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(5), pages 1791-1821, December.
- Altunbas, Y. & Gardener, E. P. M. & Molyneux, P. & Moore, B., 2001. "Efficiency in European banking," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(10), pages 1931-1955, December.
- Paul A. Gompers & Josh Lerner, 1998.
"The Determinants of Corporate Venture Capital Successes: Organizational Structure, Incentives, and Complementarities,"
NBER Working Papers
6725, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paul Gompers & Josh Lerner, 2000. "The Determinants of Corporate Venture Capital Success: Organizational Structure, Incentives, and Complementarities," NBER Chapters, in: Concentrated Corporate Ownership, pages 17-54 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paul Stoneman & Myung-Joong Kwon, 1998. "Gross Investment And Technological Change," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 7(3), pages 221-243.
- Ruthenberg, David & Elias, Ricky, 1996. "Cost economies and interest rate margins in a unified European banking market," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 48(3), pages 231-249, August.
- Jonathan Eaton & Eva Gutierrez & Samuel Kortum, 1998.
"European technology policy,"
CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 13(27), pages 403-438, October.
- Jonathan Eaton & Eva Gutierrez & Samuel Kortum, 1998. "European Technology Policy," NBER Working Papers 6827, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jonathan Eaton & Eva Gutierrez & Samuel Kortum, 1998. "European Technology Policy," Boston University - Institute for Economic Development 87, Boston University, Institute for Economic Development.
- Gale, Douglas & Hellwig, Martin, 1985. "Incentive-Compatible Debt Contracts: The One-Period Problem," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(4), pages 647-63, October.
- Paolo GUERRIERI & Stefano MANZOCCHI, 1996. "Patterns of Trade and Foreign Direct Investment in European Manufacturing: "Convergence" or "Polarization"?," Working Papers 70, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Colin Mayer, 1998. "Financial Systems and Corporate Governance: A Review of the International Evidence," Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics (JITE), Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 154(1), pages 144-, March.
- Steve Bond & Julie Elston & Jacques Mairesse & Benoit Mulkay, 1997.
"Financial factors and investment in Belgium, France, German and the UK: A comparison using company panel data,"
IFS Working Papers
W97/08, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Stephen Bond & Julie Ann Elston & Jacques Mairesse & Benoît Mulkay, 1999. "Financial Factors and Investment in Belgium, France, Germany and the UK : A Comparison using Company Panel Data," Working Papers 99-64, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Stephen Bond & Julie Elston & Jacques Mairesse & Benoit Mulkay, 1997. "Financial Factors and Investment in Belgium, France, Germany and the UK:A Comparison Using Company Panel Data," NBER Working Papers 5900, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Black, Bernard S. & Gilson, Ronald J., 1998. "Venture capital and the structure of capital markets: banks versus stock markets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 243-277, March.
- Padoan, Pier Carlo, 1997. "Globalization and European Regional Integration," Economia Internazionale / International Economics, Camera di Commercio di Genova, vol. 50(4), pages 597-632.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ad Notten).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.