The use and economic impacts of ICT at the macro-micro levels in the Arab Gulf countries
AbstractIn this paper we use some primary micro data from the firm survey of Nour (2002b) and some secondary cross countries data to examine the use and economic impacts of ICT at both the macro-micro levels in the Arab Gulf countries. We find that at the macro and micro levels the demand for ICT (measured by the use and spending on ICT) is characterised by considerable dynamism over time, i.e. shows a dynamic increasing trend across countries, but an opposite decreasing trend across firms. At the macro level the use/demand for ICT increases with income (measured by GDP per capita) and decreases with price. At the micro level, total spending on ICT increases with firm size (capital and labour) and industry level. At the micro level, we find positive correlations between the total spending on ICT, output and profit. At the macro level, spending on ICT as percentage to GDP shows a positive significant correlation with GDP- as an indicator of economic growth - and a positive insignificant correlation with schooling. Therefore, the total spending on ICT shows positive but somewhat inconclusive economic impacts at both micro and macro levels in the Gulf countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by United Nations University, Maastricht Economic and social Research and training centre on Innovation and Technology in its series UNU-MERIT Working Paper Series with number 059.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.merit.unu.edu
Use of ICT; ICT market; ICT impacts; Gulf countries;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O33 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Technological Change: Choices and Consequences; Diffusion Processes
- O30 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:ner:ucllon:http://discovery.ucl.ac.uk/16913/ is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:ner:maastr:urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-17176 is not listed on IDEAS
- Chris Freeman & Luc Soete, 1997. "The Economics of Industrial Innovation, 3rd Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 3, volume 1, number 0262061953.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ad Notten).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.