Russia's emerging multinational companies amidst the global economic crisis
AbstractInternationalisation of Russian companies has become a distinctive phenomenon and has drawn attention of scholars, practitioners and policy-makers alike. Newly emerged Russian companies have extended their presence from the nearest former Soviet republics to the advanced markets of Western Europe and Northern America. As most companies in the world, in 2008-2010, Russian multinationals faced the global economic meltdown. Despite the broad interest in this topic, its scholarly examination remains limited so far. This is precisely the objective of the paper. It analyses the impact, effects and consequences of the global economic crisis on international activities and internationalisation strategies of emerging Russian multinationals. The study combines quantitative and qualitative methods. Available secondary data from international financial and business databases and reviews is used. To broaden the insight gained through these quantitative analyses, the paper also present qualitative data - several practical examples of Russian multinationals' responses to the crisis. Further, the interplay between foreign expansion and the Russian government's policies is explored. A number of conclusions are derived.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by United Nations University, Maastricht Economic and social Research and training centre on Innovation and Technology in its series UNU-MERIT Working Paper Series with number 003.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.merit.unu.edu
global crisis; outward foreign direct investment; acquisitions; strategy; emerging multinationals; Russia; corporate governance;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F01 - International Economics - - General - - - Global Outlook
- F21 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - International Investment; Long-Term Capital Movements
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
- G01 - Financial Economics - - General - - - Financial Crises
- G34 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Mergers; Acquisitions; Restructuring; Corporate Governance
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Codruța Dura & Imola Drigă, 2012. "Russian Multinationals in Romania and their Impact upon the Romanian Economy," Annals of the University of Petrosani, Economics, University of Petrosani, Romania, vol. 12(1), pages 109-120.
- Imola DRIGÃ & Codruþa DURA, 2013. "Restoring the Economic Power of Russia through OFDI Expansion," Economia. Seria Management, Faculty of Management, Academy of Economic Studies, Bucharest, Romania, vol. 16(2), pages 227-241, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ad Notten).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.