The determinants of the outward foreign direct investment of China and India: Whither the home country?
AbstractThe current study examines the relationships between several home country-specific macroeconomic factors and the level of the outward FDI of China and India using multiple time-series data from 1982 to 2006 and from 1980 to 2006, respectively. With the use of a vector autoregressive model assessing the causal relationships of the endogenous variables, the empirical research proves that Chinese national characteristics associated with income per capita, openness of the economy to international trade, interest rate, human capital, technological capability, exchange rate and exchange rate volatility do not Granger cause the level of outward FDI of China. By contrast, the national technological capability of India Granger causes their level of outward FDI. The level of outward FDI of China does not Granger cause any of the home country-specific macroeconomic factors considered, while the level of outward FDI of India Granger causes their national interest rate.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by United Nations University, Maastricht Economic and social Research and training centre on Innovation and Technology in its series UNU-MERIT Working Paper Series with number 049.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.merit.unu.edu
outward FDI; home country; FDI determinants; China; India; MNCs; VAR model; foreign direct investment; multinational corporations;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
- C51 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Construction and Estimation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-09-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-CNA-2008-09-13 (China)
- NEP-CWA-2008-09-13 (Central & Western Asia)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jaya Prakash Pradhan, 2004. "The determinants of outward foreign direct investment: a firm-level analysis of Indian manufacturing," Oxford Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(4), pages 619-639.
- Pantelis Pantelidis & Dimitrios Kyrkilis, 2005. "A cross country analysis of outward foreign direct investment patterns," International Journal of Social Economics, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 32(6), pages 510-519, June.
- Grubaugh, Stephen G, 1987. "Determinants of Direct Foreign Investment," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 69(1), pages 149-52, February.
- Federico BONAGLIA & Andrea GOLDSTEIN & John MATHEWS, 2006.
"Accelerated Internationalisation by Emerging Multinationals: the Case of White Goods Sector,"
270, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Bonaglia, Federico & Goldstein, Andrea & Mathews, John, 2006. "Accelerated Internationalisation by Emerging Multinationals: the Case of White Goods Sector," MPRA Paper 1485, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Garg, Miti & Delios, Andrew, 2007. "Survival of the foreign subsidiaries of TMNCs: The influence of business group affiliation," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 278-295, September.
- Lall, Sanjaya, 1980. "Monopolistic Advantages and Foreign Involvement by U.S. Manufacturing Industry," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 32(1), pages 102-22, March.
- Hawawini, Gabriel & Subramanian, Venkat & Verdin, Paul, 2004.
"The home country in the age of globalization: how much does it matter for firm performance?,"
Journal of World Business,
Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 121-135, May.
- Gabriel Hawawini & Venkat Subramanian & Paul Verdin, 2004. "The home country in the age of globalization: how much does it matter for firm performance?," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/14190, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Choi, Jongmoo Jay & Jeon, Bang Nam, 2007. "Financial factors in foreign direct investments: A dynamic analysis of international data," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 1-18, January.
- Kogut, Bruce & Chang, Sea Jin, 1991. "Technological Capabilities and Japanese Foreign Direct Investment in the United States," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(3), pages 401-13, August.
- B Elango & Chinmay Pattnaik, 2007. "Building capabilities for international operations through networks: a study of Indian firms," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 38(4), pages 541-555, July.
- Thomas A. Pugel, 1981. "The determinants of foreign direct investment: An analysis of US manufacturing industries," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 2(4), pages 220-228, December.
- George J. Georgopoulos, 2008. "Cross-border mergers and acquisitions: does the exchange rate matter? Some evidence for Canada," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 41(2), pages 450-474, May.
- Wheeler, David & Mody, Ashoka, 1992. "International investment location decisions : The case of U.S. firms," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1-2), pages 57-76, August.
- Pradhan, Jaya Prakash, 2005. "Outward Foreign Direct Investment from India: Recent Trends and Patterns," MPRA Paper 12358, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Chakrabarti, Avik, 2001. "The Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment: Sensitivity Analyses of Cross-Country Regressions," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(1), pages 89-113.
- Sims, Christopher A, 1980. "Macroeconomics and Reality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(1), pages 1-48, January.
- Low Sui Pheng & Jiang Hongbin, 2006. "Analysing ownership, locational and internalization advantages of Chinese construction MNCs using rough sets analysis," Construction Management and Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 24(11), pages 1149-1165.
- Dunning, John H & Buckley, Peter J, 1977. "International Production and Alternative Models of Trade," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 45(4), pages 392-403, December.
- Liu, Hong & Li, Kequan, 2002. "Strategic Implications of Emerging Chinese Multinationals:: The Haier Case Study," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 20(6), pages 699-706, December.
- Nachum, L. & Rolle, J. D., 1999. "Home country and firm-specific ownership advantages: A study of US, UK and French advertising agencies," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 8(5-6), pages 633-660, October.
- Rui, Huaichuan & Yip, George S., 2008. "Foreign acquisitions by Chinese firms: A strategic intent perspective," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 213-226, March.
- John Cantwell, 1987. "The Reorganization of European Industries After Integration: Selected Evidence on the Role of Multinational Enterprise Activities," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(2), pages 127-151, December.
- Stephen B Tallman, 1988. "Home Country Political Risk and Foreign Direct Investment in the United States," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 19(2), pages 219-234, June.
- Jie Q. Guo & Pravin K. Trivedi, 2002. "Firm-Specific Assets and the Link between Exchange Rates and Japanese Foreign Direct Investment in the United States: A Re-examination," The Japanese Economic Review, Japanese Economic Association, vol. 53(3), pages 337-349.
- Ghosh Indradeep, 2007. "The Relation between Trade and FDI in Developing Countries -- A Panel Data Approach," Global Economy Journal, De Gruyter, vol. 7(3), pages 1-32, October.
- Wolf, Bernard M, 1977. "Industrial Diversification and Internationalization: Some Empirical Evidence," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(2), pages 177-91, December.
- Ferrantino, Michael J., 1992. "Transaction costs and the expansion of Third-World multinationals," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 38(4), pages 451-456, April.
- Daniel Pick & Utpal Vasavada, 1998. "Exchange Rate Effects on the Relationship between FDI and Trade in the U.S. Food Processing Industry," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(5), pages 1073-1079.
- Irving B. Kravis & Robert E. Lipsey, 1982.
"The Location of Overseas Production and Production for Export by U.S. Multinational Firms,"
NBER Working Papers
0482, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kravis, Irving B. & Lipsey, Robert E., 1982. "The location of overseas production and production for export by U.S. multinational firms," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(3-4), pages 201-223, May.
- Song Zan Chiou Wei & Zhen Zhu, 2007. "A revisit to the outward FDI determinants: further evidence from count panel data models with fixed effects," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(11), pages 809-812.
- Robert C. Feenstra, 1997. "The Effects of U.S. Trade Protection and Promotion Policies," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number feen97-1, September.
- Deng, Ping, 2004. "Outward investment by Chinese MNCs: Motivations and implications," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 8-16.
- Paulgeorg Juhl, 1979. "On the sectoral patterns of West German manufacturing investment in less developed countries: The impact of firm size, factor intensities and protection," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 115(3), pages 508-521, September.
- Russ, Katheryn Niles, 2007. "The endogeneity of the exchange rate as a determinant of FDI: A model of entry and multinational firms," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 344-372, April.
- Kojima, Kiyoshi, 1973. "A Macroeconomic Approach to Foreign Direct Investment," Hitotsubashi Journal of Economics, Hitotsubashi University, vol. 14(1), pages 1-21, June.
- Culem, Claudy G., 1988. "The locational determinants of direct investments among industrialized countries," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 885-904, April.
- Li, Peter Ping, 2007. "Toward an integrated theory of multinational evolution: The evidence of Chinese multinational enterprises as latecomers," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 296-318, September.
- Hung-Gay Fung & Qingfeng Wilson Liu & Erin H. C. Kao, 2007. "China's Outward Direct and Portfolio Investments," China & World Economy, Institute of World Economics and Politics, Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, vol. 15(6), pages 53-68.
- Peter J Buckley & L Jeremy Clegg & Adam R Cross & Xin Liu & Hinrich Voss & Ping Zheng, 2007. "The determinants of Chinese outward foreign direct investment," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 38(4), pages 499-518, July.
- Dreher, Axel & Nunnenkamp, Peter & Vadlamannati, Krishna Chaitanya, 2013.
"The Role of Country-of-Origin Characteristics for Foreign Direct Investment and Technical Cooperation in Post-Reform India,"
Elsevier, vol. 44(C), pages 88-109.
- Axel Dreher & Peter Nunnenkamp & Krishna Chaitanya Vadlamannati, 2011. "The Role of Country-of-origin Characteristics for Foreign Direct Investment and Technical Cooperation in Post-reform India," Kiel Working Papers 1708, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Axel Dreher & Peter Nunnenkamp & Krishna Chaitanya Vadlamannati, 2011. "The Role of Country-of-origin Characteristics for Foreign Direct Investment and Technical Cooperation in Post-reform India," KOF Working papers 11-283, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Axel Dreher & Peter Nunnenkamp & Krishna Chaitanya Vadlamannati, 2011. "The Role of Country-of-origin Characteristics for Foreign Direct Investment and Technical Cooperation in Post-reform India," Courant Research Centre: Poverty, Equity and Growth - Discussion Papers 81, Courant Research Centre PEG.
- Chowdhury, Mamta B, 2011. "India’s Outward Foreign Direct Investment: Closed Doors to Open Souk," MPRA Paper 32828, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ad Notten).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.