Firm Size, Technological Capabilities and Market-Oriented Policies in Mauritius
AbstractMauritius is an outlier in Sub-Saharan Africa for its impressive manufactured export performance based on garments since the adoption of market-oriented policies in the early 1980s. Little, however, is known about the role played by internal technological factors on the exporting behaviour of enterprises of different size classes in the Mauritian garment industry. Using recent methodological developments in the literature on industrial technological capabilities, this paper explores this issue by constructing a technology index and conducting econometric analysis on factors affecting enterprise-level technological development and export performance in a sample of Mauritian garment enterprises. The econometric results show that firm size, technical manpower, training expenditures and external technical assistance are positively related to the technology index. This confirms that investments in human capital and seeking information, both facilitated by size, improve technological performance. This is strengthened by the fact that the technology index and foreign ownership have positive and statistically significant effects on export performance of each firm. The technology index is a robust tool of empirical research and can be used to analyse the technological record of enterprises in adjusting developing countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by United Nations University, Institute for New Technologies in its series Discussion Papers with number 1.
Date of creation: 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.intech.unu.edu
Textile Industry; Competitiveness; Government Policy; Mauritius;
Other versions of this item:
- Ganeshan Wignaraja, 2002. "Firm Size, Technological Capabilities and Market-oriented Policies in Mauritius," Oxford Development Studies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 30(1), pages 87-104.
- NEP-ALL-2001-04-21 (All new papers)
- NEP-LAB-2001-04-21 (Labour Economics)
- NEP-TID-2001-04-21 (Technology & Industrial Dynamics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bastos, Maria-Ines & Steinmueller, Edward, 1995. "Information and Communication Technologies: Growth, Competitiveness, and Policy for Developing Nations," Discussion Papers 11, United Nations University, Institute for New Technologies.
- Kumar, Nagesh, 1995. "Industrialization, Liberalization and Two Way Flows of Foreign Direct Investment: The Case of India," Discussion Papers 03, United Nations University, Institute for New Technologies.
- Kumar, Nagesh, 1995.
"Intellectual Property Protection, Market Orientation and Location of Overseas R&D Activities by Multinational Enterprises,"
01, United Nations University, Institute for New Technologies.
- Kumar, Nagesh, 1996. "Intellectual property protection, market orientation and location of overseas R&D activities by multinational enterprises," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 673-688, April.
- Kumar, Nagesh, 1996. "Multinational Enterprises, New Technologies and Export-Oriented Industrialization in Developing Countries: Trends and Prospects," Discussion Papers 02, United Nations University, Institute for New Technologies.
- Kumar, Nagesh, 1996. "Foreign Direct Investments and Technology Transfers in Development: A Perspective on Recent Literature," Discussion Papers 06, United Nations University, Institute for New Technologies.
- Kumar, Nagesh, 1995. "Changing Character of Foreign Direct Investment from Developing Countries: Case Studies from Asia," Discussion Papers 16, United Nations University, Institute for New Technologies.
- Bartzokas, Anthony & Yarime, Masaru, 1997. "Technology Trends in Pollution-Intensive Industries: A Review of Sectoral Trends," Discussion Papers 06, United Nations University, Institute for New Technologies.
- Kumar, Nagesh, 1995. "International Linkages, Technology and Exports of Developing Countries: Trends and Policy Implications," Discussion Papers 07, United Nations University, Institute for New Technologies.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ad Notten).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.