Regional Supply-Demand Discrepancies: A Training Perspective
AbstractIn this paper we develop a framework that is based on short-term projections of matching problems. This framework enables us to investigate the potential for reducing matching problems on the regional labour market by means of training policies that focus on the unemployed. For this purpose we distinguish between quantitative and qualitative supply shortages. The analysis is conducted at a disaggregated level, i.e. with respect to the various educational types. The results of our empirical analysis show that both additional training and retraining programmes for unemployed workers may improve their labour market opportunities, while at the same time reducing labour market imbalances.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Maastricht : ROA,Research Centre for Education and the Labour Market in its series Working Papers with number 005.
Date of creation: 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.maastrichtuniversity.nl/web/UMPublications.htm
education; training and the labour market;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stephen Machin & Annette Ryan & John Van Reenen, 1996.
"Technology and changes in skill structure: Evidence from an international panel of industries,"
IFS Working Papers
W96/06, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Machin, Steve & Van Reenen, John, 1996. "Technology and Changes in Skill Structure: Evidence from an International Panel of Industries," CEPR Discussion Papers 1434, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Stephen Machin & A Ryan & John Van Reenen, 1996. "Technology and Changes in Skill Structure: Evidence from an International Panel of Industries," CEP Discussion Papers dp0297, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Willems, E.J.T.A. & Grip, A. de, 1993.
"Forecasting replacement demand by occupation and education,"
Open Access publications from Maastricht University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-13272, Maastricht University.
- Willems, E. J. T. A. & de Grip, A., 1993. "Forecasting replacement demand by occupation and education," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 173-185, August.
- Grip, Andries de, 1987. "Causes of labour supply and demand mismatches in the Dutch building trades," Open Access publications from Maastricht University urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-15991, Maastricht University.
- Grip,A.,de & Heijke,H., 1998.
"Beyond Manpower Planning: ROA's Labour Market Model and its Forecasts to 2002,"
006, Maastricht : ROA,Research Centre for Education and the Labour Market.
- Grip,A.,de & Heijke,H., 1998. "Beyond Manpower Planning: ROA's Labour Market Model and its Forecasts to 2002," ROA Working Paper 006, Maastricht University, Research Centre for Education and the Labour Market (ROA).
- Grip, A. de & Meijboom, P. & Willems, E., 1994. "Vacancies, employment growth and the demand for newcomers on the labour market," Open Access publications from Maastricht University urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-16939, Maastricht University.
- Dijk, Jouke van & Grip, Andries de, 1998. "Institutions and regional labour markets in the Netherlands," Open Access publications from Maastricht University urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-16938, Maastricht University.
- Lourens Broersma & Jouke van Dijk, 2002.
"Regional labour market dynamics in the Netherlands,"
Papers in Regional Science,
Springer, vol. 81(3), pages 343-364.
- Lourens Broersma & Jouke Van Dijk, 2001. "Regional labour market dynamics in The Netherlands," ERSA conference papers ersa01p197, European Regional Science Association.
- L van der Laan, 1996. "A review of regional labour supply and demand forecasting in the European Union," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 28(12), pages 2105-2123, December.
- Abraham, Katharine G, 1983. "Structural-Frictional vs. Deficient Demand Unemployment: Some New Evidence," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(4), pages 708-24, September.
- Freeman, Richard B, 1975. "Legal "Cobwebs": A Recursive Model of the Market for New Lawyers," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 57(2), pages 171-79, May.
- Eijs Patrick van & Grip Andries de, 1998. "De ontwikkeling van het project onderwijs-arbeidsmarkt 1986-1998," Working Papers 007, Maastricht : ROA,Research Centre for Education and the Labour Market.
- Maud Hensen & Robert de Vries, 2004. "The relationship between geographical mobility and education-job mismatches," ERSA conference papers ersa04p158, European Regional Science Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Charles Bollen).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.