Cross-country differences in graduate overeducation and its persistence
AbstractWe investigate the factors that contribute to the cross-country variation in graduateovereducation and its persistence by means of multi-level analysis. Our analysis is basedon data from representative surveys among graduates in thirteen European countries andJapan and focuses on the jobs six months and five years after graduation. Major factorsto explain the cross-country variation in overeducation and its persistence are found tobe differences in the structural imbalance between the overall demand and supply ofskilled workers, differences in the imbalance between the demanded and supplied fieldsof study and differences in the business cycle at the time of graduation. Also the qualityand orientation (general versus vocational) of the educational program are important, butparticularly to explain within-country differences. Finally, labour market institutions suchas the strictness of the employment protection legislation are found to be less important.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Maastricht : ROA, Research Centre for Education and the Labour Market in its series Research Memoranda with number 007.
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.maastrichtuniversity.nl/web/UMPublications.htm
labour market entry and occupational careers;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Floro Ernesto Caroleo & Francesco Pastore, 2012.
"Overeducation at a glance. Determinants and wage effects of the educational mismatch, looking at the AlmaLaurea data,"
18_2012, CRISEI, University of Naples "Parthenope", Italy.
- Caroleo, Floro Ernesto & Pastore, Francesco, 2013. "Overeducation at a Glance: Determinants and Wage Effects of the Educational Mismatch, Looking at the AlmaLaurea Data," IZA Discussion Papers 7788, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Andersson Joona, Pernilla & Datta Gupta, Nabanita & Wadensjö, Eskil, 2012.
"Overeducation among Immigrants in Sweden: Incidence, Wage Effects and State-dependence,"
SULCIS Working Papers
2012:2, Stockholm University Linnaeus Center for Integration Studies - SULCIS.
- Andersson Joona, Pernilla & Datta Gupta, Nabanita & Wadensjö, Eskil, 2012. "Overeducation among Immigrants in Sweden: Incidence, Wage Effects and State-Dependence," IZA Discussion Papers 6695, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Berlingieri, Francesco & Erdsiek, Daniel, 2012. "How relevant is job mismatch for German graduates?," ZEW Discussion Papers 12-075, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Samo Pavlin, 2011. "Varieties of Professional Domains and Employability Determinants in Higher Education," Working Papers 36, AlmaLaurea Inter-University Consortium.
- Rukwid, Ralf, 2012. "Grenzen der Bildungsexpansion? Ausbildungsinadäquate Beschäftigung von Ausbildungs- und Hochschulabsolventen in Deutschland," Violette Reihe Arbeitspapiere 37/2012, Promotionsschwerpunkt "Globalisierung und Beschaeftigung".
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Charles Bollen).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.