Early school-leaving in the Netherlands
AbstractThe role of student-, family- and school factors for early school-leaving in lower secondary educationMost studies on early school-leaving address only partial causes of why some students leave school early. This study aims to develop a more elaborate model to explain early school-leaving in lower secondary education, taking into account individual, family and school factors at the same time. By using a longitudinal dataset we are able to attribute clear causal relations between the different factors. We distinguish four groups of school-leavers, separating ‘dropouts’ (those without any qualification) from those who left school after attaining a diploma in lower secondary education (‘low qualified’), those who pursued education as an apprentice (‘apprentices’) and the ones who continued education and received a full upper secondary qualification (‘full qualification). Discerning these four groups shows clear differences in the background of different types of early school-leavers and in the effects of school factors.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Maastricht : ROA, Research Centre for Education and the Labour Market in its series Research Memoranda with number 003.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.maastrichtuniversity.nl/web/UMPublications.htm
labour market entry and occupational careers;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-04-12 (All new papers)
- NEP-EDU-2008-04-12 (Education)
- NEP-HRM-2008-04-12 (Human Capital & Human Resource Management)
- NEP-LAB-2008-04-12 (Labour Economics)
- NEP-URE-2008-04-12 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Traag Tanja & Lubbers Miranda Jessica & Velden Rolf van der, 2012.
"That’s what friends are for? The impact of peer characteristics on early school-leaving,"
006, Maastricht : ROA, Research Centre for Education and the Labour Market.
- Traag Tanja & Lubbers Miranda Jessica & Velden Rolf van der, 2012. "That’s what friends are for? The impact of peer characteristics on early school-leaving," Research Memoranda 023, Maastricht : METEOR, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Charles Bollen).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.