Dynamic Pricing Problems with Elastic Demand
AbstractWe study a dynamic pricing problem for a company that sells a single product to a group of customers over a finite time horizon. These customers are price sensitive and the price of today influences the group of customers of tomorrow. The objective is to set the prices over time so as to maximize revenue. We study two customer models: a multiplicative and an additive model. Our main contribution is considering the case when the demand is deterministic. We give a polynomial time algorithm for the multiplicative model, and prove that the additive model is (weakly) NP-hard and allows a fully polynomial approximation scheme. Further, when the choice of prices is limited we prove that the optimal solution has a specific structure. Complementing the results for the deterministic setting, we finally provide two algorithms when the demand is stochastic.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Maastricht : METEOR, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization in its series Research Memoranda with number 053.
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.maastrichtuniversity.nl/web/UMPublications.htm
operations research and management science;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-12-04 (All new papers)
- NEP-IND-2010-12-04 (Industrial Organization)
- NEP-MKT-2010-12-04 (Marketing)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Constantinos Maglaras & Joern Meissner, 2003.
"Dynamic Pricing Strategies for Multi-Product Revenue Management Problems,"
MRG/0002, Department of Management Science, Lancaster University, revised Nov 2005.
- Constantinos Maglaras & Joern Meissner, 2006. "Dynamic Pricing Strategies for Multiproduct Revenue Management Problems," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 8(2), pages 136-148, July.
- McAfee, R Preston & McMillan, John, 1987. "Auctions and Bidding," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 25(2), pages 699-738, June.
- Grigoriev, Alexander & Loon, Joyce van & Sviridenko, Maxim & Uetz, Marc & Vredeveld, Tjark, 2008.
"Optimal Bundle Pricing with Monotonicity Constraint,"
015, Maastricht : METEOR, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization.
- Grigoriev, A. & Loon, J. van & Sviridenko, M. & Uetz, M. & Vredeveld, T., 2008. "Optimal bundle pricing with monotonicity constraint," Open Access publications from Maastricht University urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-23080, Maastricht University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Charles Bollen).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.