Regional Versus Global Integration of Euro Zone Retail Banking Markets: Understanding the Recent Evidence from Price-Based Integration Measures
AbstractThis study investigates the current state of euro zone banking market integration by applying convergence and cointegration measures to mortgage and short-term corporate loan markets. These two measures of integration often lead to contradicting conclusions and are therefore comparatively analyzed. As an innovation to the literature, convergence measures are exposed to a difference-in-differences methodology which allows separating euro zone-specific from global integration effects. Our results show that euro zone-specific convergence exists mainly in the pre-EMU period whereas cointegration is especially prominent before 1993 and after 1998 but hardly present in between. Overall, we conclude that (1) in the presence of exchange rate uncertainty, cross-country convergence should focus on margins rather than rates, (2) convergence of retail banking interest rates is largely a result of integrating money and bonds markets in anticipation of the single currency and (3) a monetary union can produce (co)integration when retail rates react similarly to a single monetary policy rate. Thus, for the euro zone it appears that convergence measures provide the most information for the period leading up to the EMU whereas cointegration is more useful during the EMU period as well as prior to the ERM crisis in 1992.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Maastricht : METEOR, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization in its series Research Memoranda with number 031.
Date of creation: 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.maastrichtuniversity.nl/web/UMPublications.htm
monetary economics ;
Other versions of this item:
- Kleimeier, Stefanie & Sander, Harald, 2006. "Regional versus global integration of euro-zone retail banking markets: Understanding the recent evidence from price-based integration measures," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 353-368, July.
- NEP-ALL-2005-09-29 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2005-09-29 (European Economics)
- NEP-FMK-2005-09-29 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-MAC-2005-09-29 (Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kleimeier,Stefanie & Sander,Harald, 2002. "European Financial Market Integration: Evidence on the Emergence of a Single Eurozone Retail Banking Market," Research Memoranda 060, Maastricht : METEOR, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization.
- Heinemann, Friedrich & Schüler, Martin, 2002.
"How integrated are the European retail financial markets? A cointegration analysis,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
02-22, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Schüler, Martin & Heinemann, Friedrich, 2002. "How integrated are the European retail financial markets? A cointegration analysis," Research Notes 3b, Deutsche Bank Research.
- Slaughter, Matthew J., 2001. "Trade liberalization and per capita income convergence: a difference-in-differences analysis," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 203-228, October.
- Lieven Baele & Annalisa Ferrando & Peter Hördahl & Elizaveta Krylova & Cyril Monnet, 2004. "Measuring financial integration in the euro area," Occasional Paper Series 14, European Central Bank.
- Brada, Josef C. & Kutan, Ali M. & Zhou, Su, 2002.
"Real and monetary convergence within the European Union and between the European Union and candidate countries: A rolling cointegration approach,"
ZEI Working Papers
B 05-2002, ZEI - Center for European Integration Studies, University of Bonn.
- Josef C. Brada & Ali M. Kutan & Su Zhou, 2002. "Real and Monetary Convergence within the European Union and Between the European Union and Candidate Countries: A Rolling Cointegration Approach," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 458, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Jane katz, 1997. "Getting secure," Regional Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, issue Sum, pages 13-17.
- Dunne, Peter & Moore, Michael J & Portes, Richard, 2002.
"Defining Benchmark Status: An Application using Euro-Area Bonds,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3490, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Peter G. Dunne & Michael J. Moore & Richard Portes, 2002. "Defining Benchmark Status: An Application using Euro-Area Bonds," NBER Working Papers 9087, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Arturo Estrella, 2002. "Securitization and the efficacy of monetary policy," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue May, pages 243-255.
- Arribas Fernández Iván & Pérez García Francisco & Tortosa-Ausina Emili, 2009.
"Openness and Geographic Neutrality: How Do They Contribute to International Banking Integration?,"
201060, Fundacion BBVA / BBVA Foundation.
- Pérez, Francisco & Arribas, Iván & Tortosa-Ausina, Emili, 2009. "Openness and geographic neutrality: How do they contribute to international banking integration?," MPRA Paper 17211, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Arribas, Iván & Pérez, Francisco & Tortosa-Ausina, Emili, 2011. "A network perspective on international banking integration," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 831-851.
- Carmen López Andión & José Manuel Maside Sanfiz & Ma Celia López Penabad, 2010. "Co-Integration between Mortgage Markets in the Monetary Union: 1995–2008," Czech Journal of Economics and Finance (Finance a uver), Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, vol. 60(1), pages 40-57, February.
- Wagenvoort, Rien & Ebner, André & Morgese Borys, Magdalena, 2009. "EFR 2009-01 A factor analysis approach to measuring European loan and bond market integration," Economic and Financial Reports 2009/1, European Investment Bank, Economics Department.
- Wagenvoort, Rien & Ebner, André & Morgese Borys, Magdalena, 2009.
"A factor analysis approch to measuring European loan and bond market integration,"
Discussion Papers in Economics
11071, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Wagenvoort, Rien J.L.M. & Ebner, André & Morgese Borys, Magdalena, 2011. "A factor analysis approach to measuring European loan and bond market integration," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 1011-1025, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Charles Bollen).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.