Entry thresholds and actual entry and exit in local markets
AbstractBresnahan and Reiss (1991) derive entry thresholds (equilibrium numbers of firms) for local markets but do not investigate actual entry and exit flows. This paper investigates for thirteen Belgian retail and service industries whether markets with actual numbers of firms higher (lower) than the thresholds display exit (entry) in subsequent periods.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Maastricht : METEOR, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization in its series Research Memoranda with number 048.
Date of creation: 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.maastrichtuniversity.nl/web/UMPublications.htm
industrial organization ;
Other versions of this item:
- Martin Carree & Marcus Dejardin, 2007. "‘Entry Thresholds and Actual Entry and Exit in Local Markets’," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 29(1), pages 203-212, June.
- Carree, Martin & Dejardin, Marcus, 2007. "Entry thresholds and actual entry and exit in local markets," Open Access publications from Maastricht University urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-15263, Maastricht University.
- L80 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - General
- R12 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Size and Spatial Distributions of Regional Economic Activity; Interregional Trade (economic geography)
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-12-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2004-12-20 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-ENT-2004-12-20 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-ENT-2004-12-21 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-GEO-2004-12-20 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-IND-2004-12-20 (Industrial Organization)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carree, M. A. & Thurik, A. R., 1999.
"The carrying capacity and entry and exit flows in retailing,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 17(7), pages 985-1007, October.
- Carree, M.A. & Thurik, A.R., 1999. "The carrying capacity and entry and exit flows in retailing," Open Access publications from Maastricht University urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-3947, Maastricht University.
- Asplund, Marcus & Sandin, Rickard, 1999. "The Number of Firms and Production Capacity in Relation to Market Size," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(1), pages 69-85, March.
- Geroski, P. A. & Masson, R. T., 1987. "Dynamic market models in industrial organization," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 1-13, March.
- Catherine Armington & Zoltan Acs, 2002. "The Determinants of Regional Variation in New Firm Formation," Regional Studies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 36(1), pages 33-45.
- Schmalensee, Richard, 1992. "Sunk Costs and Market Structure: A Review Article," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(2), pages 125-34, June.
- Bresnahan, Timothy F & Reiss, Peter C, 1991.
"Entry and Competition in Concentrated Markets,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(5), pages 977-1009, October.
- Jeffrey R. Campbell & Hugo Hopenhayn, 2003.
"Market size matters,"
Working Paper Series
WP-03-12, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Jeffrey R. Campbell & Hugo A. Hopenhayn, 2002. "Market Size Matters," NBER Working Papers 9113, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jeffrey Campbell, 2000. "Market Size Matters," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1225, Econometric Society.
- Carree, Martin & Thurik, Roy, 1996. "Entry and exit in retailing: incentives, barriers, displacement and replacement," Open Access publications from Maastricht University urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-3837, Maastricht University.
- Javier Miranda & Shawn Klimek & Ron Jarmin, 2004. "Firm Entry and Exit in the U.S. Retail Sector, 1977-1997," Working Papers 04-17, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Daniel Serra & Charles Revelle & Ken Rosing, 1999. "Surviving in a competitive spatial market: The threshold capture model," Economics Working Papers 359, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- D.B. Audretsch & Luuk Klomp & A.R. Thurik, 1998.
"Do Services differ from Manufacturing? The Post-Entry Performance of Firms in Dutch Services,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
98-012/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Audretsch, David B & Klomp, Luuk & Thurik, A R Roy, 1997. "Do Services Differ From Manufacturing? The Post-Entry Performance of Firms in Dutch Services," CEPR Discussion Papers 1718, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Geroski, P. A., 1995. "What do we know about entry?," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 421-440, December.
- Carree, Martin A., 2006. "On factors promoting and hindering entry and exit," Open Access publications from Maastricht University urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-15504, Maastricht University.
- Kathleen Cleeren & Frank Verboven & Marnik G. Dekimpe & Katrijn Gielens, 2010.
"Intra- and Interformat Competition Among Discounters and Supermarkets,"
INFORMS, vol. 29(3), pages 456-473, 05-06.
- Cleeren, Kathleen & Dekimpe, Marnik G. & Gielens, Katrijn & Verboven, Frank, 2008. "Intra- and Inter-Format Competition Among Discounters and Supermarkets," CEPR Discussion Papers 6964, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gries, Thomas & Naude, Wim, 2008. "Entrepreneurship and Regional Economic Growth: Towards A General Theory of Start-Ups," Working Paper Series RP2008/70, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Marcus Dejardin & Martin Carree, 2011. "Firm Entry and Exit in Local Markets: Market Pull and Unemployment Push," Working Papers 1114, University of Namur, Department of Economics.
- Martin Carree & Ingrid Verheul & Enrico Santarelli, 2011. "Sectoral patterns of firm exit in Italian provinces," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 21(3), pages 499-517, August.
- Rui Baptista & Murat Karaöz, 2011. "Turbulence in growing and declining industries," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 36(3), pages 249-270, April.
- Dawn DeTienne & Melissa Cardon, 2012. "Impact of founder experience on exit intentions," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 38(4), pages 351-374, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Charles Bollen).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.