The Propensity To Continue Service Internationalization - A Model Of Planned Behavior
AbstractThe present study investigates the propensity to continue internationalization by experienced international service providers. Enhancing the cognitive-behavioral root of internationalization process theory (Johanson and Vahlne 1977; 1990), this paper builds upon Ajzen’s (1991) theory of planned behavior. Consistent with the latter theory, the propensity to continue service internationalization is modelled as behavioral intention that results from (1) an overall attitude towards internationalization, (2) structural and strategic behavioral norms, and (3) inhibiting factors that exert behavioral control upon propensity. Using partial least squares analysis, a propensity model is tested on a sample of 193 international service providers. The results suggest that our model explicates and enhances the cognitive/affective character of internationalization process theory.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Maastricht : METEOR, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization in its series Research Memoranda with number 052.
Date of creation: 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.maastrichtuniversity.nl/web/UMPublications.htm
management and organization theory ;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2003-09-08 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Patterson, Paul G. & Ruyter, Ko de & Wetzels, Martin, 1999. "Modelling firms propensity to continue service exporting: a cross-country analysis," Open Access publications from Maastricht University urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-6350, Maastricht University.
- Bandura, Albert, 1991. "Social cognitive theory of self-regulation," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 248-287, December.
- Krabuanrat, K. & Phelps, R., 1998. "Heuristics and rationality in strategic decision making: An exploratory study," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 83-93, January.
- Forsgren, M., 2002. "The concept of learning in the Uppsala internationalization process model: a critical review," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 257-277, June.
- Daniel Sullivan, 1994. "Measuring the Degree of Internationalization of a Firm," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 25(2), pages 325-342, June.
- Kundu, Sumit K. & Contractor, Farok J., 1999. "Country location choices of service multinationals: An empirical study of the international hotel sector," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 299-317.
- N Capar & M Kotabe, 2003. "The relationship between international diversification and performance in service firms," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 34(4), pages 345-355, July.
- Ajzen, Icek, 1991. "The theory of planned behavior," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 179-211, December.
- Sheppard, Blair H & Hartwick, Jon & Warshaw, Paul R, 1988. " The Theory of Reasoned Action: A Meta-analysis of Past Research with Recommendations for Modifications and Future Research," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 15(3), pages 325-43, December.
- P. N. O'Farrell & J. Zheng & P. A. Wood, 1996. "Internationalization of Business Services: An Interregional Analysis," Regional Studies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 30(2), pages 101-118.
- Hadjikhani, Amjad, 1997. "A note on the criticisms against the internationalization process model," Working Papers 1997:2, Uppsala University, Department of Business Studies.
- Fred D. Davis & Richard P. Bagozzi & Paul R. Warshaw, 1989. "User Acceptance of Computer Technology: A Comparison of Two Theoretical Models," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 35(8), pages 982-1003, August.
- Oliver, Richard L & DeSarbo, Wayne S, 1988. " Response Determinants in Satisfaction Judgments," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 14(4), pages 495-507, March.
- Patterson, Paul G. & de Ruyter, Ko & Wetzels, Martin, 1999. "Modelling firms propensity to continue service exporting: a cross-country analysis," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 351-365, August.
- Lutz Sommer, 2010. "Internationalization processes of small- and medium-sized enterprises—a matter of attitude?," Journal of International Entrepreneurship, Springer, vol. 8(3), pages 288-317, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Charles Bollen).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.