Consumer evaluations of store brands: effects of store image and product attributes
AbstractStore brands have grown in importance. Large numbers of products carrying a store label have been introduced in recent years, with varying degrees of success. It appears that retailers pay little attention to the multiple risks associated with adding new product categories to their store labels. In this study we investigate how attributes of store and product affect consumer evaluations of store branded products. A structural model is developed and tested, indicating the likelihood of success. Findings allow retailers to focus on product development in categories most compatible with their store''s image.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Maastricht : METEOR, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization in its series Research Memoranda with number 030.
Date of creation: 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.maastrichtuniversity.nl/web/UMPublications.htm
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2003-09-08 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bearden, William O & Etzel, Michael J, 1982. " Reference Group Influence on Product and Brand Purchase Decisions," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 9(2), pages 183-94, September.
- Narasimhan, Chakravarthi & Wilcox, Ronald T, 1998. "Private Labels and the Channel Relationship: A Cross-Category Analysis," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 71(4), pages 573-600, October.
- Steenkamp, J. & Dekimpe, M.G., 1997. "The increasing power of store brands: Building loyalty and market share," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-358835, Tilburg University.
- Mitchell, V. -W., 2001. "Re-conceptualizing consumer store image processing using perceived risk," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 167-172, November.
- Magali Jara, 2009. "« Le capital-marque des marques de distributeurs : une approche conceptuelle différenciée »," Post-Print halshs-00413592, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Charles Bollen).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.