Can R&D alliances facilitate the formation of a cartel? The example of the European IT industry
AbstractFirms may coordinate their R&D decisions by a merger or an R&D alliance. The European Union stimulates R&D alliances. It expects that these stimulate R&D investments, and guarantee that the cooperating firms compete in the product market. The alliances may, however, stimulate firms to collude in the product market. Alliances then point to emerging cartels. The paper explores the conditions where this fear holds.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Maastricht : METEOR, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization in its series Research Memoranda with number 004.
Date of creation: 1995
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.maastrichtuniversity.nl/web/UMPublications.htm
research and development ;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- d'Aspremont, Claude & Jacquemin, Alexis, 1988. "Cooperative and Noncooperative R&D in Duopoly with Spillovers," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(5), pages 1133-37, December.
- Davidson, Carl & Deneckere, Raymond, 1984. "Horizontal mergers and collusive behavior," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 117-132, June.
- John Hagedoorn & Jos Schakenraad, 1993. "A Comparison of Private and Subsidized R&D Partnerships in the European Information Technology Industry," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 31(3), pages 373-390, 09.
- Hagedoorn, John & Schakenraad, Jos, 1993. "A comparison of private and subsidized R&D partnerships in the European information technology industry," Open Access publications from Maastricht University urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-4311, Maastricht University.
- De Bondt, Raymond & Veugelers, Reinhilde, 1991. "Strategic investment with spillovers," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 345-366, October.
- Suetens, S., 2004.
"Literature review: R&D cooperation in oligopoly with spillovers: An experimental economics approach,"
Open Access publications from Tilburg University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-3529827, Tilburg University.
- Suetens S., 2004. "Literature review: R&D cooperation in oligopoly with spill-overs: an experimental economic approach," Working Papers 2004024, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Charles Bollen).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.