Knowledge Dynamics in a Network Industry
AbstractIn this paper, we model the impact of networks on knowledge growth in an in-novatingindustry. Specifically, we compare two mediums of knowledge exchange;random interaction, and the case in which interaction occurs on a fixed architec-ture.In a simulation study, we investigate how the medium of knowledge exchangecontributes to knowledge growth under di ﬀerent scenarios related to the industryâsinnovative potential. We measure innovative potential by considering the extent towhich knowledge can be codified, and the available technological opportunities. Ourresults tend to support the conjecture that spatial clustering generates higher longrun knowledge growth rates in industries characterized by highly tacit knowledge,while the opposite is true when the degree of codification is important.Key Words: Network, Network Industry, Clustering, Innovation, Knowledge.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Maastricht : MERIT, Maastricht Economic Research Institute on Innovation and Technology in its series Research Memoranda with number 003.
Date of creation: 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.maastrichtuniversity.nl/web/UMPublications.htm
economics of technology ;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2003-12-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBE-2003-12-14 (Cognitive & Behavioural Economics)
- NEP-CMP-2003-12-14 (Computational Economics)
- NEP-INO-2003-12-14 (Innovation)
- NEP-TID-2003-12-14 (Technology & Industrial Dynamics)
- NEP-URE-2003-12-14 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Audretsch, David B, 1998.
"Agglomeration and the Location of Innovative Activity,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1974, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Audretsch, David B, 1998. "Agglomeration and the Location of Innovative Activity," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 14(2), pages 18-29, Summer.
- G. M. Peter Swann & Rui Baptista, 1999. "A comparison of clustering dynamics in the US and UK computer industries," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 373-399.
- Cowan,Robin & Jonard,Nicolas, 2000.
"The Dynamics of Collective Invention,"
018, Maastricht : MERIT, Maastricht Economic Research Institute on Innovation and Technology.
- Margherita Balconi & Stefano Breschi & Francesco Lissoni, 2002. "Networks of Inventors and the Location of University Research: An Exploration of Italian Data," KITeS Working Papers 127, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised May 2002.
- Orsenigo, L. & Pammolli, F. & Riccaboni, Massimo, 2001. "Technological change and network dynamics: Lessons from the pharmaceutical industry," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 485-508, March.
- Alfonso Gambardella & Walter Garcia Fontes, 1996. "European research funding and regional technological capabilities: Network composition analysis," Economics Working Papers 174, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Adam B. Jaffe & Manuel Trajtenberg & Rebecca Henderson, 1992.
"Geographic Localization of Knowledge Spillovers as Evidenced by Patent Citations,"
NBER Working Papers
3993, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jaffe, Adam B & Trajtenberg, Manuel & Henderson, Rebecca, 1993. "Geographic Localization of Knowledge Spillovers as Evidenced by Patent Citations," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 108(3), pages 577-98, August.
- Jaffe, A.B. & Trajtenberg, M., 1992. "Geographic Localization of Knowledge Spillovers as Evidenced by Patent Citations," Papers 14-92, Tel Aviv.
- Cowan, Robin & Foray, Dominique, 1997. "The Economics of Codification and the Diffusion of Knowledge," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 6(3), pages 595-622, September.
- Cohen, Wesley M & Levinthal, Daniel A, 1989. "Innovation and Learning: The Two Faces of R&D," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 99(397), pages 569-96, September.
- Baptista, Rui, 2000. "Do innovations diffuse faster within geographical clusters?," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 515-535, April.
- R. Cowan & N. Jonard & J.-B. Zimmermann, 2002. "The Joint Dynamics of Networks and Knowledge," Computing in Economics and Finance 2002 354, Society for Computational Economics.
- Audretsch, David B & Feldman, Maryann P, 1995. "Innovative Clusters and the Industry Life Cycle," CEPR Discussion Papers 1161, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bruce Kogut & Udo Zander, 1993. "Knowledge of the Firm and the Evolutionary Theory of the Multinational Corporation," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 24(4), pages 625-645, December.
- Swann, Peter & Prevezer, Martha, 1996. "A comparison of the dynamics of industrial clustering in computing and biotechnology," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(7), pages 1139-1157, October.
- E. Marrocu & S. Usai & R. Paci, 2013. "Networks, proximities and inter-firm knowledge exchanges," Working Paper CRENoS 201311, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Beaudry, Catherine & Allaoui, Sedki, 2012. "Impact of public and private research funding on scientific production: The case of nanotechnology," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 41(9), pages 1589-1606.
- Lorenzo Cassi & Lorenzo Zirulia, 2012. "Friends and Rivals: Modelling the Social Relations of Inventors," Working Paper Series 39_12, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Pascal Le Masson & Armand Hatchuel & Benoît Weil, 2010. "Modeling Novelty-Driven Industrial Dynamics with Design Functions: understanding the role of learning from the unknown," Post-Print hal-00696970, HAL.
- Lorenzo Cassi & Lorenzo Zirulia, 2008.
"The opportunity cost of social relations: On the effectiveness of small worlds,"
Journal of Evolutionary Economics,
Springer, vol. 18(1), pages 77-101, February.
- Lorenzo Cassi & Lorenzo Zirulia, 2005. "The Opportunity Cost of Social Relations: on the Effectiveness of Small Worlds," KITeS Working Papers 175, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Sep 2005.
- Roediger-Schluga, Thomas & Barber, Michael J., 2006. "The structure of R&D collaboration networks in the European Framework Programmes," UNU-MERIT Working Paper Series 036, United Nations University, Maastricht Economic and social Research and training centre on Innovation and Technology.
- Patrick Llerena & Muge Ozman, 2013. "Networks, irreversibility and knowledge creation," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 23(2), pages 431-453, April.
- Muge Ozman, 2007.
"Network Formation and Strategic Firm Behaviour to Explore and Exploit,"
Working Papers of BETA
2007-07, Bureau d'Economie Théorique et Appliquée, UDS, Strasbourg.
- MÃ¼ge �zman, 2007. "Network Formation and Strategic Firm Behaviour to Explore and Exploit," Journal of Artificial Societies and Social Simulation, Journal of Artificial Societies and Social Simulation, vol. 11(1), pages 7.
- Boari, Cristina & Fioretti, Guido & Odorici, Vincenza, 2008. "Rivalry and Learning Among Clustered and Isolated Firms," MPRA Paper 13066, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Alexandre Gaudeul, 2004. "Open Source Software Development Patterns and License Terms," Industrial Organization 0409008, EconWPA.
- Müge Ozman, 2006. "Knowledge Integration and Network Formation," Working Papers of BETA 2006-06, Bureau d'Economie Théorique et Appliquée, UDS, Strasbourg.
- Malerba, Franco, 2007. "Innovation and the dynamics and evolution of industries: Progress and challenges," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 675-699, August.
- Franco Malerba, 2005.
"Innovation and the evolution of industries,"
KITeS Working Papers
172, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Jul 2005.
- Agnes Bäker & Werner Güth & Kerstin Pull & Manfred Stadler, 2011. "Creativity, Analytical Skills, Personality Traits, and Innovation Game Behavior in the Lab: An Experiment," Jena Economic Research Papers 2011-056, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
- Anne Ter Wal & Ron Boschma, 2009. "Applying social network analysis in economic geography: framing some key analytic issues," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 43(3), pages 739-756, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Charles Bollen).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.