Financial systems, innovation and economic performance
AbstractThere is growing evidence of international divergence in the performance of newindustries. While the United States is at the forefront of the recent revolution ininformation technologies, European economists and policy makers are concerned thatEurope is falling behind with negative implications for long-term economicperformance. This paper investigates the role of financial systems as a crucialdeterminant of apparent differences in national abilities to promote innovativeactivities in specific sectors. Firstly, a short overview of the relevant finance andinnovation literature is provided, and a synthetic view of the finance-innovation linkis sketched. It is argued that national financial systems have an impact on thestructure of growth through their differing abilities to promote innovation in sector-specifictechnology regimes. Secondly, I apply a simple econometric model to a dataset consisting of 17 OECD countries and 20 manufacturing industries to identifyempirical patterns. The evidence suggests that sectors characterized by hightechnological opportunity and a focus on product innovation perform relatively betterin financial systems with large stock markets, competitive banking sectors and goodaccounting standards. In contrast, the performance of sectors geared towardsinnovation in processes benefits from a more bank-oriented financial system andconcentrated ownership structures.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Maastricht : MERIT, Maastricht Economic Research Institute on Innovation and Technology in its series Research Memoranda with number 013.
Date of creation: 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.maastrichtuniversity.nl/web/UMPublications.htm
economics of technology ;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2003-02-24 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENT-2003-02-24 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-MFD-2003-02-24 (Microfinance)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wendy Carlin & Colin Mayer, 1999.
"Finance, Investment and Growth,"
OFRC Working Papers Series
1999fe09, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Chenggang Xu & Haizhou Huang, 1999.
"Institutions, Innovations, and Growth,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 89(2), pages 438-443, May.
- O'Sullivan, Mary, 2000. "The Innovative Enterprise and Corporate Governance," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 24(4), pages 393-416, July.
- Franklin Allen, . "Stock Markets and Resource Allocation (Reprint 036)," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 15-92, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Beck, T.H.L. & Levine, R., 2002.
"Industry growth and capital allocation: Does having a market- or bank-based system matter?,"
Open Access publications from Tilburg University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-3125514, Tilburg University.
- Beck, Thorsten & Levine, Ross, 2002. "Industry growth and capital allocation:*1: does having a market- or bank-based system matter?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 147-180, May.
- Thorsten Beck & Ross Levine, 2002. "Industry Growth and Capital Allocation: Does Having a Market- or Bank-Based System Matter?," NBER Working Papers 8982, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Breschi, Stefano & Malerba, Franco & Orsenigo, Luigi, 2000. "Technological Regimes and Schumpeterian Patterns of Innovation," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(463), pages 388-410, April.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & Andrei Shleifer, 1998.
"Corporate Ownership Around the World,"
NBER Working Papers
6625, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer, 1998. "Corporate Ownership Around the World," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1840, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Black, Bernard S. & Gilson, Ronald J., 1998. "Venture capital and the structure of capital markets: banks versus stock markets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 243-277, March.
- Beck, Thorsten & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Levine, Ross, 1999.
"A new database on financial development and structure,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2146, The World Bank.
- Beck, T.H.L. & Demirgüç-Kunt, A. & Levine, R., 2000. "A new database on financial development and structure," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-3125518, Tilburg University.
- Raghuram G. Rajan & Luigi Zingales, 1996.
"Financial Dependence and Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
5758, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kotaro Tsuru, 2000. "Finance and Growth: Some Theoretical Considerations and a Review of the Empirical Literature," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 228, OECD Publishing.
- Storper, Michael, 1996. "Innovation as Collective Action: Conventions, Products and Technologies," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 5(3), pages 761-90.
- Colin Mayer, 1996. "Corporate Governance, Competition and Performance," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 164, OECD Publishing.
- Winter, Sidney G., 1984. "Schumpeterian competition in alternative technological regimes," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 5(3-4), pages 287-320.
- Dosi, Giovanni, 1990. "Finance, innovation and industrial change," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 299-319, June.
- Masahiko Aoki, 1998. "An Information Theoretic Approach to Comparative Corporate Governance," Working Papers 99004, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- Chris Freeman & Luc Soete, 1997. "The Economics of Industrial Innovation, 3rd Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 3, volume 1, number 0262061953.
- Nelson, Richard R. & Sampat, Bhaven N., 2001. "Making sense of institutions as a factor shaping economic performance," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 31-54, January.
- Timothy F. Bresnahan & Franco Malerba, 1997. "Industrial Dynamics and the Evolution of Firms' and Nations' Competitive Capabilities in the World Computer Industry," Working Papers 97030, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- Peltrault, Frédéric & Blanchard, Michel, 2005. "Financial development, international trade and welfare," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/100, Paris Dauphine University.
- Andrea Szalavetz, 2007. "Changing National Innovation Systems in Advanced Economies – Lessons for Catching-Up Follower Countries," Economic Studies journal, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences - Economic Research Institute, issue 1, pages 66-76.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Charles Bollen).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.