What is expected of higher education graduates in the 21st century?
AbstractIn this paper, we reflect on the skills higher education graduates are expected to have in todays economy and the role of higher education in equiping graduates with these skills. First, we identify 6 trends which form the basis of the changing role of graduates in economic life. These trends are the knowledge society, increasing uncertainty, the ICT revolution, high performance workplaces, globalization, and the change of the economic structure. By changing the nature and range of tasks graduates are expected to fulfil in todays economy, we argue that these trends generate new and intensify traditional skill demands, which we summarize as professional expertise, flexibility, innovation and knowledge management, mobilization of human resources, international orientation, and entrepreneurship. Second, we draw out some key issues concerning the role of higher education institutions in equiping graduates with these skills.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Maastricht : GSBE, Graduate School of Business and Economics in its series Research Memorandum with number 044.
Date of creation: 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.maastrichtuniversity.nl/web/UMPublications.htm
Analysis of Education; Education and Economic Development; Education: Government Policy; Human Capital; Skills; Occupational Choice; Labor Productivity;
Other versions of this item:
- Humburg M. & Velden R.K.W. van der, 2013. "What is expected of higher education graduates in the 21st century?," Research Memorandum 044, Maastricht University, Graduate School of Business and Economics (GSBE).
- Velden R.K.W. van der & Humburg M., 2013. "What is expected of higher education graduates in the 21st century?," ROA Research Memorandum 013, Maastricht University, Research Centre for Education and the Labour Market (ROA).
- Velden R.K.W. van der & Humburg M., 2013. "What is expected of higher education graduates in the 21st century?," Research Memoranda 013, Maastricht : ROA, Research Centre for Education and the Labour Market.
- I21 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Analysis of Education
- I25 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Education and Economic Development
- I28 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Government Policy
- J24 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Human Capital; Skills; Occupational Choice; Labor Productivity
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-10-18 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2013-10-18 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-EDU-2013-10-18 (Education)
- NEP-HRM-2013-10-18 (Human Capital & Human Resource Management)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Charles Bollen).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.