A note on Michelacci and Zaffaroni, long memory, and time series of economic growth
AbstractIn a recent paper in The Journal of Monetary Economics, Michelacci and Zaffaroni (2000)estimate long memory parameters for GDP per capita of 16 OECD countries. In this note weargue that these estimations are questionable for the purposes of clarifying the time seriesproperties of these data (presence of unit roots, mean reversion, long memory) because theauthors a) filter out a deterministic linear-in-logs trend instead of first-differencing in logs,and manipulate the data in other highly questionable ways, b) rely on the semiparametricGeweke and Porter-Hudak (GPH) method as modified by Robinson, which is known to behighly biased in small samples. We re-examine these results using Beranâs nonparametricFGN estimator and Sowellâs exact maximum likelihood ARFIMA estimator. These methodsavoid the small-sample bias and arbitrariness of the cut-off parameters of Robinsonâs methodand allow us to control for short memory effects, although the parametric ARFIMA estimatorintroduces specification problems of its own. We also look at the influence of the choice ofsub-periods on the results. Finally, we apply Robinsonâs method to our treatment of the dataand show that MZâs results no longer hold, nor are their cut-off parameter and filteringinsensitivity claims substantiated.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies (ECIS) in its series Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies (ECIS) working paper series with number 00.17.
Date of creation: 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://ecis.ieis.tue.nl/
long memory; economic growth;
Other versions of this item:
- Silverberg,Gerald & Verspagen,Bart, 2000. "A Note on Michelacci and Zaffaroni, Long Memory, and Time Series of Economic Growth," Research Memorandum 031, Maastricht University, Maastricht Economic Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- B. Verspagen & G. Silverberg, 2000. "A note on Michelacci and Zaffaroni, long memory, and time series of economic growth," Working Papers 00.17, Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sowell, Fallaw, 1992. "Maximum likelihood estimation of stationary univariate fractionally integrated time series models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1-3), pages 165-188.
- Michelacci, C. & Zaffaroni, P., 1998.
"(Fractional) Beta Convergence,"
9803, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Michelacci, C. & Zaffaroni, P., 2000. "(Fractional) Beta Convergence," Papers 383, Banca Italia - Servizio di Studi.
- Claudio Michelacci & Paolo Zaffaroni, 2000. "(Fractional) Beta Convergence," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 383, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Francis X. Diebold & Glenn D. Rudebusch, 1988.
"Long memory and persistence in aggregate output,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
7, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Lo, Andrew W, 1991.
"Long-Term Memory in Stock Market Prices,"
Econometric Society, vol. 59(5), pages 1279-313, September.
- Andrew W. Lo, 1989. "Long-term Memory in Stock Market Prices," NBER Working Papers 2984, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lo, Andrew W. (Andrew Wen-Chuan), 1989. "Long-term memory in stock market prices," Working papers 3014-89., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Tom Doan, . "RSSTATISTIC: RATS procedure to compute R/S Statistic (classical or Lo's modified)," Statistical Software Components RTS00191, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Erhard Reschenhofer & Benedikt M. Pötscher & Michael A. Hauser, 1999. "Measuring persistence in aggregate output: ARMA models, fractionally integrated ARMA models and nonparametric procedures," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 24(2), pages 243-269.
- Joseph G. Haubrich & Andrew W. Lo, .
"The Sources and Nature of Long-Term Memory in the Business Cycle,"
Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers
05-89, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Joseph G. Haubrich & Andrew W. Lo, . "The Sources and Nature of Long-Term Memory in the Business Cycle," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 5-89, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Joseph G. Haubrich & Andrew W. Lo, 1991. "The sources and nature of long-term memory in the business cycle," Working Paper 9116, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Joseph G. Haubrich & Andrew W. Lo, 1989. "The Sources and Nature of Long-term Memory in the Business Cycle," NBER Working Papers 2951, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nelson, Charles R. & Plosser, Charles I., 1982. "Trends and random walks in macroeconmic time series : Some evidence and implications," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 139-162.
- Baillie, Richard T., 1996. "Long memory processes and fractional integration in econometrics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 5-59, July.
- Sowell, Fallaw, 1992. "Modeling long-run behavior with the fractional ARIMA model," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 277-302, April.
- Aken, van J.E., 2001. "Management research based on the paradigm of the design sciences: the quest for tested and grounded technological rules," Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies (ECIS) working paper series 01.11, Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies (ECIS).
- G Caggiano & L Leonida, .
"International Output Convergence: Evidence from an AutoCorrelation Function Approach,"
2006_20, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Giovanni Caggiano & Leone Leonida, 2009. "International output convergence: evidence from an autocorrelation function approach," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 24(1), pages 139-162.
- Aken, van J., 2001. "Improving the relevance of management research By developing tested and grounded technologiCAL RULES," Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies (ECIS) working paper series 01.19, Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies (ECIS).
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Luis A. Gil-Alana, 2009.
"Long Memory in US Real Output per Capita,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
891, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carolina Castaldi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.