The Q theory of investment: does uncertainty matter
AbstractThis paper includes uncertainty in the Q-model of investment. A structural Q-type investment model is derived, which contains the information on uncertainty effects of random variables that affect the future profitability of a firm. We use a panel of 82 Dutch firms to test whether the presence of uncertainty affects the performance of the Q-model. Our evidence shows that the volatility of profits and the volatility of the interest rate influence investment apart from Q. Moreover, the presence of uncertainty factors changes the structural parameters of the Q-model of investment. The results suggest that the unsatisfactory empirical performance of the standard Q-model of investment may be due to the omission of uncertainty considerations. In addition, Dutch firm-level evidence shows that severe uncertainty effects are associated with small firms and highly indebted firms, which are more likely to be in financial distress. This provides indirect evidence that the wedge between external financing and internal financing aggravates the effect of uncertainty on investment.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management) in its series Research Report with number 99E07.
Date of creation: 1999
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-1999-07-28 (All new papers)
- NEP-CFN-1999-07-28 (Corporate Finance)
- NEP-FIN-1999-07-28 (Finance)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrew B. Abel & Janice C. Eberly, 1993.
"A Unified Model of Investment Under Uncertainty,"
NBER Working Papers
4296, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew B. Abel & Janice C. Eberly, . "A Unified Model of Investment Under Uncertainty," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 14-93, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Aizenman, Joshua & Marion, Nancy P. & Marion, Nancy P., 1993. "Macroeconomic uncertainty and private investment," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 207-210.
- Andrew B. Abel & Olivier J. Blanchard, 1983.
"The Present Value of Profits and Cyclical Movements in Investment,"
NBER Working Papers
1122, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Abel, Andrew B & Blanchard, Olivier J, 1986. "The Present Value of Profits and Cyclical Movements in Investment," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(2), pages 249-73, March.
- Robert S. Chirinko, 1986. "Investment, Tobin's Q, and Multiple Capital Inputs," NBER Working Papers 2033, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Schaller, Huntley, 1990. "A Re-examination of the Q Theory of Investment Using U.S. Firm Data," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 5(4), pages 309-25, Oct.-Dec..
- Mellati, Ali, 2008. "Uncertainty and investment in private sector: An analytical argument and a review of the economy of Iran," MPRA Paper 26655, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joke Bulthuis).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.