The maximization of submodular functions : old and new proofs for the correctness of the dichotomy algorithm
AbstractThe first purpose of this paper is to make an old (Russian) theoretical results about the structure of local and global maxima of submodular functions, Cherenin’s excluding rules and his Dichotomy Algorithm more accessible for Western community. The second purpose of this paper is to present our main result which can be stated as follows. For any pair of embedded subsets, the difference of their function values is a lower bound for the difference between the unknown(!) optimal values of the corresponding partition defined by these subsets. A simple justification of Cherenin’s rules, the Dichotomy Algorithmand its generalization with the new branching rules from our main result are presented. The usefulness of our new branching rules is illustrated by means of a numerical example.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management) in its series Research Report with number 99A17.
Date of creation: 1999
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-1999-07-28 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Beasley, J. E., 1993. "Lagrangean heuristics for location problems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 65(3), pages 383-399, March.
- Boris Goldengorin & Gerard Sierksma & Gert A. Tijssen & Michael Tso, 1999. "The Data-Correcting Algorithm for the Minimization of Supermodular Functions," Management Science, INFORMS, INFORMS, vol. 45(11), pages 1539-1551, November.
- Lones Smith & Hector Chade, 2004.
2004 Meeting Papers, Society for Economic Dynamics
25, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- lones smith & hector chade, 2004. "simultaneous search," Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings, Econometric Society 64, Econometric Society.
- Hector Chade & Lones Smith, 2006. "Simultaneous Search," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University 1556, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Hector Chade & Lones Smith, 2005. "Simultaneous Search," NajEcon Working Paper Reviews, www.najecon.org 172782000000000033, www.najecon.org.
- Hector Chade & Lones Smith, . "Simultaneous Search," Working Papers, Department of Economics, W. P. Carey School of Business, Arizona State University 2168591, Department of Economics, W. P. Carey School of Business, Arizona State University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joke Bulthuis).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.