Value investing in emerging markets : local macroeconomic risk and extrapolation
AbstractOur results confirm the profitability of value investing at the country level in emerging markets. A portfolio of countries with low price-to-book ratios significantly outperforms a portfolio of high price-to-book countries. Global risk factors cannot explain this outperformance. Next we measure a number of macroeconomic variables of the countries in the long and short value portfolios, as a proxy for local risk factors. We find that the countries in the low price-to-book portfolio on average have significantly lower economic growth, higher growth volatility, higher inflation, more overvalued currencies and more volatile currencies, compared to the high price-to-book portfolio. After portfolio formation, the difference in economic fundamentals between the high and low price-to-book portfolios decreases significantly, which indicates that investors might be extrapolating past economic trends too far into the future.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management) in its series Research Report with number 03E22.
Date of creation: 2003
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-MAC-2003-09-24 (Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- William N. Goetzmann & Philippe Jorion, 1997.
NBER Working Papers
5906, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- William Goetzmann & Philippe Jorion, 1998. "Re-emerging Markets," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm50, Yale School of Management, revised 01 Aug 2000.
- Philippe Jorion & William N. Goetzmann, 1998. "Re-Emerging Markets," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm111, Yale School of Management.
- Jorion, Philippe, 1991. "The Pricing of Exchange Rate Risk in the Stock Market," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(03), pages 363-376, September.
- Nijman, T.E. & Roon, F.A. de & Werker, B.J.M., 2001.
"Testing for Mean-Variance spanning with short sales constraints and transaction costs: The case of emerging markets,"
Open Access publications from Tilburg University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-86724, Tilburg University.
- Roon, F.A. de & Nijman, T.E. & Werker, B.J.M., 1998. "Testing for mean-variance spanning with short sales constraints and transaction costs: The case of emerging markets," Discussion Paper 1998-07, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Alvaro Montenegro, 2006. "La información bursátil en Colombia," DOCUMENTOS DE ECONOMÃA 003031, UNIVERSIDAD JAVERIANA - BOGOTÁ.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joke Bulthuis).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.