Firm relocation: state of the art and research prospects
AbstractThis paper deals with firm relocation. Firm relocation is a particular form of locational adjustment of the firm and one of the possible ways to adjust to changes in markets, preferences of consumers, environmental regulations, technological progress etc. In section 2 we will treat the neo-classical, the behavioural, and the institutional approaches respectively. Next, a historical review of firm relocation research is presented, in section 3. It starts with the "classical studies" of the first post-war period, followed by a description of what can be called the golden era of firm relocation studies according to the large number of studies: the nineteen sixties and seventies. This section ends with an overview of firm relocation studies of the last decades of the previous century. In section 4 we present an example an empirical study that addresses relevant firm relocation for the present era by means of a statistical model estimated on data for individual firms of the Netherlands. We conclude the chapter with a discussion of why and how the firm relocation research frontier can be pushed forward and give suggestions for further research also in relation with policy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management) in its series Research Report with number 02D31.
Date of creation: 2002
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- J. Peter Neary, 2000.
"Of Hype and Hyperbolas - Introducing the new Economic Geography,"
200019, School Of Economics, University College Dublin.
- J.Peter Neary, 2001. "Of Hype and Hyperbolas: Introducing the New Economic Geography," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 39(2), pages 536-561, June.
- Nakosteen, Robert A & Zimmer, Michael A, 1987. "Determinants of Regional Migration by Manufacturing Firms," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 25(2), pages 351-62, April.
- Lourens Broersma & Jouke Van Dijk, 2001.
"Regional labour market dynamics in The Netherlands,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa01p197, European Regional Science Association.
- Lourens Broersma & Jouke van Dijk, 2002. "Regional labour market dynamics in the Netherlands," Papers in Regional Science, Springer, vol. 81(3), pages 343-364.
- Scott, Allen J, 2000. "Economic Geography: The Great Half-Century," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 24(4), pages 483-504, July.
- Hanna Maoh & Pavlos Kanaroglou, 2007. "Business establishment mobility behavior in urban areas: a microanalytical model for the City of Hamilton in Ontario, Canada," Journal of Geographical Systems, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 229-252, September.
- Determinants of firm relocation. A study of agro-food processors & Vanessa Persillet Author-X-Name- First: Vanessa Author-X-Name- Last: Persillet & John Scott Shonkwiler, 2013. "Determinants of firm relocation. A study of agro-food processors," Working Papers SMART - LERECO 201308, INRA UMR SMART.
- Miguel C. Manjon-Antolin & Josep Maria Arauzo-Carod, 2006.
"Locations and Relocations: Modelling, Determinants, and Interrelations,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa06p33, European Regional Science Association.
- Arauzo Carod, Josep Maria & Manjón Antolín, Miguel C., 2007. "Locations and Relocations:Modelling, Determinants, and Interrelations," Working Papers 2072/5316, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Manuel Artís & Raul Ramos & Jordi Suriñach, 2006.
"Job losses, outsourcing and relocation: Empirical evidence using microdata,"
CREAP2006-05, Xarxa de Referència en Economia Aplicada (XREAP), revised Oct 2006.
- Artís, Manuel & Ramos, Raul & Surinach, Jordi, 2007. "Job Losses, Outsourcing and Relocation: Empirical Evidence Using Microdata," IZA Discussion Papers 2978, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Manuel Artis & Raul Ramos & Jordi Suriñach, 2006. "Job losses, outsourcing and relocation, empirical evidence using microdata," IREA Working Papers 200601, University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics, revised Dec 2006.
- Oikonomou, Vlasis & Patel, Martin & Worrell, Ernst, 2006. "Climate policy: Bucket or drainer?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(18), pages 3656-3668, December.
- François Coppens & Fabienne Verduyn, 2009. "Analysis of business demography using markov chains : an application to Belgian data," Working Paper Research 170, National Bank of Belgium.
- Miguel Manjón-Antolín & Josep-Maria Arauzo-Carod, 2011. "Locations and relocations: determinants, modelling, and interrelations," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 47(1), pages 131-146, August.
- Arauzo Carod, Josep Maria & Liviano Solís, Daniel & Manjón Antolín, Miguel C., 2008.
"Empirical studies in industrial location: an assessment of their methods and results,"
2072/9257, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Josep-Maria Arauzo-Carod & Daniel Liviano-Solis & Miguel Manjón-Antolín, 2010. "Empirical Studies In Industrial Location: An Assessment Of Their Methods And Results," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(3), pages 685-711.
- Jung Hun Yang & Dick Ettema & Koen Frenken & Frank van Oort & Evert-Jan Visser, 2011. "A geosimulation model of economic activity for supporting spatial planning and economic policy," ERSA conference papers ersa10p1016, European Regional Science Association.
- Francisco Parejo & Amélia Branco & João Carlos Lopes & José Rangel Preciado, 2013. "Regional Integration and Firm Location Choices: A Long Run Approach to the Cork Industry in the Iberian Peninsula," Working Papers Department of Economics 2013/18, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Jan Ženka & Vladislav Čadil, 2009. "Regional distribution of technology-intensive manufacturing industries in the czech republic with an accent on risk of delocalisation," Prague Economic Papers, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2009(1), pages 61-77.
- Vannoorenberghe, G., 2012. "Firm-level volatility and exports," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 57-67.
- Persillet, Vanessa & Shonkwiler, J. Scott, 2013. "Determinants of Firm Relocation—A Study of Agro-Food Processors," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 149014, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joke Bulthuis).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.