Public investment and intergenerational distribution under alternative modes of financing
AbstractThe research into multi-product production/inventory control systems has mainly assumed one of the two strategies: Make-to-Order (MTO) or Make-to-Stock (MTS). In practice, however, many companies cater to an increasing variety of products with varying logistical demands (e.g. short due dates, specific products) and production characteristics (e.g. capacity usage, setup) to different market segments and so they are moving to more MTO-production. As a consequence they operate under a hybrid MTO-MTS strategy. Important issues arising out of such situations are, for example, which products should be manufactured to stock and which ones on order and, how to allocate capacity among various MTO-MTS products. This paper presents the state-of-the-art literature review of the combined MTO-MTS production situations. A variety of production management issues in the context of food processing companies, where combined MTO-MTS production is quite common, are discussed in details. The authors propose a comprehensive hierarchical planning framework that covers the important production management decisions to serve as a starting point for evaluation and further research on the planning system for MTO-MTS situations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management) in its series Research Report with number 02C51.
Date of creation: 2002
Date of revision:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bom, Pedro R.D. & Ligthart, Jenny E., 2014.
"Public infrastructure investment, output dynamics, and balanced budget fiscal rules,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 334-354.
- Duarte Bom, P.R. & Ligthart, J.E., 2011. "Public Infrastructure Investment, Output Dynamics, and Balanced Budget Fiscal Rules," Discussion Paper 2011-092, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Pedro R. D. Bom & Jenny Ligthart, 2011. "Public Infrastructure Investment, Output Dynamics, and Balanced Budget Fiscal Rules," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper1119, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Heijdra, Ben J. & Romp, Ward E., 2005.
"A Life-Cycle Overlapping-Generations Model of the Small Open Economy,"
05C04, University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management).
- Ben J. Heijdra & Ward E. Romp, 2008. "A life-cycle overlapping-generations model of the small open economy," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 60(1), pages 88-121, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joke Bulthuis).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.