Reallocation of beds to reduce waiting time for cardiac surgery
AbstractWaiting time for cardiac surgery is a significant problem in the current medical world. The fact that patients length of stay varies considerably makes effective hospital operation a hard job. In this paper, the patients length of stay is analyzed. Three scenarios for hospital management are presented and evaluated in two ways. First, the theoretical number of beds needed in each of these scenarios is analyzed using techniques from Markov chain theory. This analysis does not include the important variability in length of stay. Therefore, the second evaluation is based on simulation experiments to further investigate the variability. The aim of the analyses is to look at unused bed capacity in the hospital wards. By knowing the size of the unused bed capacity, it is possible to come to a more efficient reallocation of the beds. The results presented in this paper provide some insight in the relation between patients length of stay, bed availability and hospital waiting lists. Finally, some ideas are raised as discussion points for further research.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management) in its series Research Report with number 02A63.
Date of creation: 2002
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2003-04-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2003-04-02 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-HEA-2003-04-02 (Health Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ridge, J. C. & Jones, S. K. & Nielsen, M. S. & Shahani, A. K., 1998. "Capacity planning for intensive care units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 105(2), pages 346-355, March.
- G. J. Taylor & S. I. McClean & P. H. Millard, 2000. "Stochastic models of geriatric patient bed occupancy behaviour," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 163(1), pages 39-48.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joke Bulthuis).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.