Reporting on intellectual capital
AbstractIn today’s knowledge-based economy intellectual capital (IC) is becoming a major part of companies’ value. Being able to manage and control IC requires that companies can identify, measure and report internally on IC. As financial accounting rules ban full disclosure of IC in the annual report the external stakeholders lack information about companies’ value, which may have as a consequence that stakeholders make wrong or bad decisions. To remedy this situation, new tools must be developed which enable managers to identify and measure a company’s IC and to report on it within a consistent framework. The theory on IC is still in its infancy. The purpose of this paper is to contribute to the development of a reporting model on IC. The paper analyses the various reporting models recently being developed and used in practice. Moreover, the existing reporting models have been discussed in-depth with the management of three Dutch companies with a high degree of IC and with four financial analysts as external users of the information. The paper describes the findings of the discussions with the practitioners. Based on both the theoretical evaluation of the reporting models and the evaluation in practice the building blocks of an IC reporting model are described.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management) in its series Research Report with number 01E50.
Date of creation: 2001
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2001-11-27 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENT-2001-11-27 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-NET-2001-11-27 (Network Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Rossen Petkov, 2010. "Perspectives On Disclosing Human Capital Into The Notes Of The Financial Statements," Analele Stiintifice ale Universitatii "Alexandru Ioan Cuza" din Iasi - Stiinte Economice, Alexandru Ioan Cuza University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, vol. 57, pages 29-40, november.
- Isabel Pizarro & Juan C.Real & M.Dolores de la Rosa, 2009. "The role of entrepreneurial culture and human capital in innovation," Working Papers 09.02, Universidad Pablo de Olavide, Department of Business Administration.
- Ghafele, Roya, 2010. "Accounting for intellectual property?," MPRA Paper 37360, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Manivannan Velmurugan, 2010. "Revisiting Accounting in the Knowledge-Based Economy," Journal of the Knowledge Economy, Springer, vol. 1(4), pages 318-332, December.
- Knauer, Thorsten, 2010. "Relevanz, Qualität und Determinanten der externen Unternehmenspublizität zum Humankapital: Eine empirische Bestandsaufnahme der HDAX-Unternehmen," Arbeitspapiere des Lehrstuhls fÃ¼r Betriebswirtschaftslehre, insbesondere Controlling 13-1, University of Münster, Chair of Management Accounting.
- Ramírez Córcoles, Yolanda & Santos Peñalver, Jesús F. & Tejada Ponce, Ángel, 2011. "Beneficios y costes de la divulgación de información sobre capital intelectual: evidencia empírica en las universidades públicas españolas/Benefits and Costs of Intellectual Capital Disclosure: E," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 29, pages 905 (28 pÃ¡, Diciembre.
- Castilla Polo, Francisca & Gallardo Vázquez, Dolores, 2008. "Social information within the intellectual capital report," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 353-363, December.
- Mike Tayles & Richard H. Pike & Saudah Sofian, 2007. "Intellectual capital, management accounting practices and corporate performance: Perceptions of managers," Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 20(4), pages 522-548, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joke Bulthuis).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.